Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for some 16" wheels (aluminum or Forester 5-spoke steelies) to put on my 2005 3.0R because I want use it for some offroading here in Colorado. But before I go purchasing them I need to know for sure if they are going to fit.

If I go to Tirerack.com or even Discounttiredirect.com and search for wheels they only list the 17" size or up. I suspect this has to do with the size of brakes/rotors that are on the car.

I checked the service manual and it looks like:

- the 2.5i has the smallest rotor diameter (228mm e.d./277mm o.d.)
- the 3.0R/2.5XT/2.5i-LTD/LLB has the next size up rotor diameter (244mm e.d./294mm o.d.)
- and the Legacy 2.5GT has the largest rotor diameter (261mm e.d./316mm o.d.).

And of course the larger the diameter the rotor the further the caliper will be moved out.

And so I was wondering if anyone has put a 16" wheel (Subaru or non-OEM) on their 3.0R/XT without having to grind down the calipers to make them fit? Could I just use the 2005 Subaru 2.5i on Tirerack and use it's 16" wheel selection?

Thanks!

Update: Hmmm....wait a second. I think I'm reading the service manual wrong. The 2.5 i-LTD, OUTBACK 2.5i, -LTD, OUTBACK 3.0 R, -LTD, -LLB, OUTBACK 2.5 XT all use the same 244mm/294mm rotor. Woohoo! Now I can get some wheels. But, what model is 2.5i 228mm/277mm? Is that a Legacy 2.5i?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
Well I'm picking up a set of 16" steelies tomorrow that were originally to be used on an Outback (not sure the trim) and hopefully I'll be using them for snows on my 05 Outback XT.

I'll post an update with my findings tomorrow.

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Let us know if you notice any kind of loss of HP/TQ after getting them on. I fear the weight of them may actually dull the already lazy "take-off" power of this car. And living above 5000 feet makes it even worse.

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
Different size wheel but the 15" Steel wheels that came on my '99 OBS weighed 20lbs each w/o hubcap while OEM subaru 15" alloys I've weighed came in @ 15.5-16.5lbs each.

I currently run a set of 15" Enkei Tarmac's that weigh 12lbs each & clear 4-pot calipers 29Xmm rotors.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
The wheels were mounted with a new set of Winterforce tires on them (215/65/16). They clear the calipers with no issues. FWIW the wheels originally came from tirerack and are the set that comes with the winter tire packages they sell. I got them through a craigslist purchase.

They look pretty nice:

Not the best angle:

A lot can change in a week:

No noticeable loss in pep though it does feel a bit softer which is to be expected. I was hoping they would fix the icy driving issue with the car and after an alignment driving is much less white knuckle.

Off to read more about the "ghostwalking" issue I just found out about. Though my issue has a bit to do with the alignment. The right rear toe lateral link is pretty much hosed and they could only adjust it so much. I need to find out where to order a new lateral link and the associated bolt and hardware.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
16" worked on my 05 XT from tirerack, but the 3.0 might have a bigger caliper?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
performance difference should be really small. i swap wheel/tire sizes all the time, the only time it's noticeable to me is on the really dinky motors - like the 1.8 liters.

it seems the 6 cylinders, for me anyway, get better mileage with the larger tires - it's as if they have the grunt to push those larger tires and gain more miles per the same revolution. but i haven't noticed any performance gains, but i don't really floor it, gas it, race it either, i just drive....so maybe there is a corresponding loss in performance if i was used to gettin on it. the 4 cylinders seem to be affected by the gearing more and loose mileage - though i live in the mountains and that can cause them to downshift more, etc.

Jamals brake thread is a great resource for brakes and wheel fitment. It says 16" wheels fit the 294/295mm rotors except certain 16" wheels wont' fit the 4 pot calipers....something liek that - read here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265631

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Interesting time to see this post, and I don't intend to Hijack, just figure this may end up being the BEST post for this info. (I have searched like crazy)

I have a 2005 XT myself, stock ride height and im looking to replace the wheels and tires. Right now im looking at some 16" steels and i would like to put on some 215/70/16s, but i want to be sure they fit without rubbing.
I want to fill the entire wheel well, but not rub.

The new spec wheels and tires will have a diameter of 28.4"
The factory comes with 27.6"

Less than 1" seems like it should be no issue with the amount of clearance i see.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been searching for the silver 5-spoke Forester steel wheels (16x6.5" 48mm offset) for a month now and was finally able to purchase a set on Ebay last night for a decent price and free shipping. They have about 28,000 miles on them and look almost brand new in the pictures. They should be here sometime between the 4th and the 10th. Hmmm....I wonder if these would fit over the Legacy GT brakes??? :D

I'm going to weigh my stock wheels and then the "most likely to be" much heavier 16" wheels with General Grabber AT2's and see what the difference is. I'd bet 6+ lbs more per wheel/tire combo.

dlo13: What size wheels/tires came on your XT? My 3.0R has the 225/55R17's which measure at a 26.7" diameter.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
225/55/17 as well.
I know my vehicle has more ground clearance than the 3.0R

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just received my 16" Forester 5-spoke steel wheels this morning. They look almost new.

Anyway, I wanted to post that I weighed them and they are approximately 23.4 lbs each (which includes the small amount of wheel weights).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts