Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Premium Outback w/Eyesight 2014.5 Camry LE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a '16 2.5 with just over 9,500 miles on it. I've noticed that when I take my foot off the gas and am coasting to a stop, that somewhere around 20mph the car feels sluggish as if I am slightly depressing the brake (though I'm not). This 'sluggishness' seems to last from 20mph down to 15 mph where it then feels like it maybe surges a bit and then feels normal again. The MPG indicator of course generally goes green when you take your foot off the gas; when I hit 15mph, it seems like the RPMs go up for a split second, the MPG indicator drops from green to yellow, then back to green again. Any ideas? I don't know if I'm describing it well.

It went several weeks without being driven because I was out of town, and this is something I noticed since getting back a little over a week ago. I don't remember it happening before. I called the closest dealer (slightly over an hour away) yesterday AM and left a message, but my call has not been returned yet. Then I came on here and read through the thread about the extended CVT warranty for 2010-2015 and now I'm nervous!

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
This sounds like the regulation of your torque converter engagement and disengagement based on current load: this would apply to any transmission that has a torque converter, and the more automated it is, the more complex the behavior can be.

Is it normal for the car? I don't know.

Reactions: rasterman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your description sounds a lot like my 2017 as well. I thought it was the pzev totally cutting off any gas flow then bringing on minimum gas flow to keep the engine running. This showing up as differences in engine drag on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2016 Premium Outback w/Eyesight 2014.5 Camry LE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Took it in to the dealer. They said their tech noticed the issue as I described it (and mentioned something about seeing other cars with similar symptoms). They reprogrammed the transmission control module with a software update. It seemed like perhaps this made the issue somewhat better, but I was still noticing it, so I called back while I was still in town (as mentioned in the initial post, the dealer is over an hour away) to tell them I was still noticing it, thinking maybe I should just go back in. The guy said to give it some time because some adaptive something something has to learn how I drive? He said if it continues after a few days-ish to call back and make another appointment. I made a joke about the car being smarter than me and went home. That was almost a week ago, and the issue seems to be persisting. And I don't understand why the car "learning" how I drive would behave in a way that it shouldn't, no matter how I drive. If you are cooking for someone and figuring out what they like to eat, do you randomly throw handfuls of sand in the pot? Wtheck?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts