Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run 16" wheels and tires (tires are much cheaper on 16s as are a second set of 16 vs. 17" wheels) in the winter on a 2013 3.6r with Eyesight and plus size the tires to get to 17" spec. It comes with 17" wheels.

I can't get a straight answer out of subaru whether I can do this. They say it will void the warranty, confuse the cruise control, affect the stability control etc. because the wheel size is different destroy the AWD etc.

I sort of get it if the total diameter changed, but if it stays the same just with a smaller wheel why the issue?

Does anyone have any facts on whether it would affect the warranty or if it can be done or shouldn't be done?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Unless something has changed, the brakes on the 3.6 are too large for the 16" wheels. There are some aftermarket 16" alloy rally wheels that may fit, but the cost of the wheels will destroy any savings on tires for several sets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless something has changed, the brakes on the 3.6 are too large for the 16" wheels. There are some aftermarket 16" alloy rally wheels that may fit, but the cost of the wheels will destroy any savings on tires for several sets.
Ah! Now that makes some sense. I asked that and they didn't know/said that wasn't the reason. Looks like a second set of wheels and tires is not likely to happen if that is the case.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Nope, no 16" for your H6. Unless you like grinding chunks out of the brake calipers that is.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Even if they did fit, you would have to stare at your tire pressure light on the dash all winter or buy another set of TPMS sensors which would also kill your savings. There also may also be some additional hassle with seasonal changeover with different sensor IDs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even if they did fit, you would have to stare at your tire pressure light on the dash all winter or buy another set of TPMS sensors which would also kill your savings. There also may also be some additional hassle with seasonal changeover with different sensor IDs.
That's the reason black electrical tape was invented. Worked great on my 06.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
callmeQ
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing