Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put 30K miles on my car in 10 months. Real happy with it. A couple days ago I crawled under to change the oil for the first time (dealer did free oil changes to 24K) and found a bunch of oil all over the pan, trans and transfer case.

It appears to be coming from above the oil pan at the back of the engine. I dropped it at the dealer today and they are not sure yet where its coming from. They did loan me a new Forester, which I appreciate. I searched and found a post mentioning the CVT pump seal.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I would wash it clean and diagnose from there...

Looks like winter slime mixed with some oil residue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would wash it clean and diagnose from there...

Looks like winter slime mixed with some oil residue.
No rain or snow here for over 125 days. That is oil mixed with dirt from the road I live on. No way am I cleaning it up and then taking it to the dealer complaining of an oil leak. Counterproductive. They needed to see the mess it is making and fix it. Regardless, its already there and I was hoping to see someone who may have seen this before. Not a lot of places oil can come from back there, I would think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership pulled the engine and resealed a "plate" on the back of the block that was leaking. All done in 1 day and ready to pick up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you have a reliable dealer who backs up their words with quick action!
Yes. Brown Subaru in Amarillo. Did me right on purchase, did me right on all free oil changes to 24K and did amazing 1.5 day engine out and in with leak fixed, and new 12 miles on it Forester loaner.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The dealership pulled the engine and resealed a "plate" on the back of the block that was leaking. All done in 1 day and ready to pick up.
Sorry about your problem. It sounds like the separator plate. Do you know what your engine number is? It's at the top of the drivers side block at the rear of the block. Probably starts with the letter "M" followed by 6 digits.

Reactions: FirstSubie4me

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about your problem. It sounds like the separator plate. Do you know what your engine number is? It's at the top of the drivers side block at the rear of the block. Probably starts with the letter "M" followed by 6 digits.

Yes. It was the separator plate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts