Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to this forum and Subaru. I have been an Acura MDX girl for the past 12 years. I bought my new 2017 3.6R Outback January 1st and love the way it drives, still do, except that I am having a ton of little problems with this car and I am now wondering if a made a terrible choice of vehicle. So, I am wondering if anyone else with a '17 Outback is having these same problems? We notice a large hole in the carpet on the driver's side next to the flat black pad by the break. They replaced all the carpet, but they did not stretch it well, and now it is loose everywhere. My husband just noticed 7 defects in the paint/topcoat on the hood, one is the size of a dime! The plastic on my luggage rack was peeling off, so they said they would replaced it, but it is doing it again. The navigation went out under 8,000 miles. The most annoying though, is that they have had to fix my alignment several times already and within a few days it's back to pulling. Sorry for such a long post, but very curious if anyone else is having these issues??

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
472 Posts
My 2017 has been excellent so far (11 months 13,000 miles) haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
568 Posts
What's the plastic peeling on the luggage rack? - Do you mean the thin rubber like gasket along the bottom edge? (I've seen one parked at the Lowes with that gasket/trim distorted, reminding me of the license plate pocket issue on the GMC I owned previously).

Some of this sounds like perhaps the dealer isn't doing their part, they're supposed to inspect the vehicles for paint issues, and you would think they would be able to properly align the vehicle. Granted the roads in some areas are horrible, and might through out an alignment, but should keep for a decent amount of time. My '12 still tracks well, and it's been three years since an alignment. (Wheel was sightly off center and it bugged me). Where do you live? (My guess is north east, where the roads take a beating during the winter.

Could be worse, my wife's Nissan has now had THREE(3) replacements of Nav/Radio head unit, and it still acts up. Her blind spot detection is on/off again working, keyless remote indicates low batter on the dash when it isn't from time to time, the rear brakes rattle on every bump unless your foot is on the brake pedal, and the fuel mileage isn't close to the epa numbers. - I get the same fuel economy with my 3.6R, than she gets with the Nissan 2.5SL she has, with AWD to boot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info! They suggested I contact Subaru of America and the are paying to repaint the hood! The other issues, Iv'e learned to deal with.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
@;
What's the plastic peeling on the luggage rack? - Do you mean the thin rubber like gasket along the bottom edge? (I've seen one parked at the Lowes with that gasket/trim distorted, reminding me of the license plate pocket issue on the GMC I owned previously).

Some of this sounds like perhaps the dealer isn't doing their part, they're supposed to inspect the vehicles for paint issues, and you would think they would be able to properly align the vehicle. Granted the roads in some areas are horrible, and might through out an alignment, but should keep for a decent amount of time. My '12 still tracks well, and it's been three years since an alignment. (Wheel was sightly off center and it bugged me). Where do you live? (My guess is north east, where the roads take a beating during the winter.

Could be worse, my wife's Nissan has now had THREE(3) replacements of Nav/Radio head unit, and it still acts up. Her blind spot detection is on/off again working, keyless remote indicates low batter on the dash when it isn't from time to time, the rear brakes rattle on every bump unless your foot is on the brake pedal, and the fuel mileage isn't close to the epa numbers. - I get the same fuel economy with my 3.6R, than she gets with the Nissan 2.5SL she has, with AWD to boot.
Interesting. I have a 2011 that seems to have the steering wheel be slightly right of center, it bothers me also. How was this fixed, just a regular alignment? I've never had one, the wheel always had this issue (bought new in 2011) so I never pursued it.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited
24 Posts
Don't feel too bad, I've had to request allignments in ALL my previous 5 vehicles. My current Outback (new) also shows signs of being off-center, although slightly, but enough to trigger my OCD. >:)

@;

Interesting. I have a 2011 that seems to have the steering wheel be slightly right of center, it bothers me also. How was this fixed, just a regular alignment? I've never had one, the wheel always had this issue (bought new in 2011) so I never pursued it.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R traded for '16 T4R Limited
15 Posts
Wow, the nav and paint can be replaced/fixed, but the recurring pulling/alignment issue would be really frustrating to me. FYI, we've had several Subarus, including two Outbacks, but never a problem with alignment. All have tracked true and with stability...up to 135 mph (WRX). OTOH, between ourselves and friends, we've had Lexus, Land Cruiser, Cadillac, Lincoln, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, etc. that had little and large problems that were recurring and highly annoying/frustrating. That may not make you feel any better, but we wish you well in finding resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2017 Outback Touring in brown. The paint quality and durability is terrible compared to any new car we’ve had in the last several decades. When I contacted Subaru about the issue they blamed it on outside influences. We take pride in the way our cars look and the quality of paint durability is terrible. For that reason, this will be our last Subaru.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts