Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i, Crystal White, Slate Black Cloth, Eyesight, Moonroof, Nav, 20mm RSB
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Premium with Nav. I've had two different failure modes, three occurrences in the past week.

Failure mode one: Audio goes nuts, changing channels without input, and won't respond to volume control, touch screen, or steering wheel controls. Happened a little while ago, and again this wek.

Failure mode two: Navigation freezes. Icon doesn't advance, trip info doesn't change, nothing on the touch screen related to the map responds. Clock (since it's linked to Nav) stops.

In both cases, things return to normal after re-starting the car.

I've got an appointment for Monday afternoon. I'm thinking a new head unit will be in order, and I'll push for that. I also have video showing the system locked up

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
2017 Premium with Nav. I've had two different failure modes, three occurrences in the past week.

Failure mode one: Audio goes nuts, changing channels without input, and won't respond to volume control, touch screen, or steering wheel controls. Happened a little while ago, and again this wek.

Failure mode two: Navigation freezes. Icon doesn't advance, trip info doesn't change, nothing on the touch screen related to the map responds. Clock (since it's linked to Nav) stops.

In both cases, things return to normal after re-starting the car.

I've got an appointment for Monday afternoon. I'm thinking a new head unit will be in order, and I'll push for that. I also have video showing the system locked up
This is a tricky one: did you recently update the firmware?

The fun part is that even if you didn't, it doesn't prove anything one way or the other: this can potentially be hardware or software, and you've just gotten lucky.

Unfortunately, the odds of anyone at the dealership knowing how to access system logs and analyze them properly are extremely slim.

Unless a loose wire or the like is found, likely it'll be easier to replace with a new head unit.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5i, Crystal White, Slate Black Cloth, Eyesight, Moonroof, Nav, 20mm RSB
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a tricky one: did you recently update the firmware?

The fun part is that even if you didn't, it doesn't prove anything one way or the other: this can potentially be hardware or software, and you've just gotten lucky.

Unfortunately, the odds of anyone at the dealership knowing how to access system logs and analyze them properly are extremely slim.

Unless a loose wire or the like is found, likely it'll be easier to replace with a new head unit.
I don't think I updated the firmware; I did update the maps, however, I'm pretty sure that it was several weeks between the map update & the wonky behavior.

I WILL be pushing for a head unit replacement. I've got video to show one instance of the problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I updated the firmware; I did update the maps, however, I'm pretty sure that it was several weeks between the map update & the wonky behavior.

I WILL be pushing for a head unit replacement. I've got video to show one instance of the problem.
Dealer said they have another customer with the exact problem. They've contacted TechLine, and are waiting for a response. They've let TechLine know that they have a second customer with the same issue.

Since it isn't a Subaru made part, it's taking a little longer for Techline to respond, but I'll be on top of them.

My wife is disgusted with our Subaru experience, after my 16 being bought back, and now this. She drives a 2006 Scion, with nearly no visible to the user electronics. She says she'd never buy another Subaru, and never buy anything with electronics. Good luck with that ... I hope her Scion lasts forever :)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited loaded
7 Posts
2017 Flaky audio

Similar

I have a month old 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited using iPhone 6s latest IOS 11.0 (previous IOS has same issues)

Issues. Short list off top of my head:
Phone not syncing at times
Disconnecting randomly
When using phone with USB audio,conflicts with BT phone connectivity. Call comes in and no hands free although showing BT connected.
Audio playback from phone (iTunes) stops and starts randomly appears about every 30 seconds if using USB or BT.
I've noticed that when syncing phone via BT, iPhone will show "Subaru BT" and sometimes "Car Multimedia" as the car system(possible SW conflict?)

This is nuts. I've had very minimal issues with MANY other systems. Works flawlessly with my 2012 Wrangler which has a Harman Becker 730N system as well as a few Nissans in our fleet.
Taking to the dealer but not real confident of a positive outcome.

Will keep everyone updated.

Thx.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad you posted. It's been a week. I think a friendly phone call to the dealer is in order tomorrow, and tell them to suggest to Techline that the easiest path is a new head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar experience here, dealer had a printout alerting of the issue. Said there will be a software patch in November.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called today, my dealer still knows nothing. The service manager is out and will be back on Thursday, and will allegedly call to ask for an update.

This in the only gripe I have with my dealership. IMO, on issues where they have to go to Techline, they need to push harder on Techline, and keep the customer updated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My latest call to the dealer got nothing. They are waiting on Techline.

On Tuesday, at about 9:05 am, I lost ALL access to Sirius; not even Channel 1. At about 10am, I stopped for a rest break, and when I restarted the car, Sirius was there.

I'm thinking that this was a related issue. The headunit has lost its mind.

I'm giving serious thought to going to the dealer each time the unit flakes; perhaps if I remind them that with 4 attempts to repair the same system, Subaru will be again subject to the lemon law, and that they really should just put in a new head unit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night, I wrote to SoA about the issue. They contacted the dealer to tell them that there is an update coming for the head unit. They also wrote me recommending that I wait for the update, as a new headunit would just have the same software.

I did go the dealer to get this latest problem logged into the system, and agreed to wait for the update.

Here's the bitch ... on the way to the dealer, the blind spot monitoring on the right hand side stopped functioning. I had them log that, and I made an appointment to get it checked out.

Went back out to the car, started it up, and got on the road. Of course, the BSD started functioning again #headdesk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'll wait until there's an update. After that, I'll push not only for a new unit, but an upgraded one.

Subaru already replaced my 16 lemon with a 17

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone heard of an update for the '17 headunit with Navigation? I keep meaning to call my dealer, but always remember just after they close.

I haven't seen the unit go crazy again, but I haven't been on any long trips, and did very little driving in November, thanks to a kidney stone that took two emergency room visits, 5 surgical procedures, an overnight hospital stay and roughly $35,000 US (hey, I could have bought another Subaru!) to fix.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, and the Blind Spot Detection glitch I mentioned in post #10? They couldn't find it, and it hasn't happened again.
Of course.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New update done today, and I also had them turn the mean fuel efficiency correction down 5%, as the average fuel consumption has been consistently showing about 5% higher than what I calculate.

The update is Version NU9508 per bulletin 15-205-16R

Of course, since it was an intermittent glitch, it's impossible to test.

The fuel efficiency correction probably won't show up until the next tank of gas gets consumed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I give up, who makes it?
Don't know. That's just what the dealer told me.
I doubt any auto manufacturer makes the entertainment/nav/etc systems, but specs them out to Bose, or Harmon Kardon, or Emerson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts