Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tire shop install tires and new aftermarket sensors on a set of steel rims for the winter. The salesman first told me the sensors are programmed for the car it will relearn them, the assistant manager told me you can tell the car in the maintenance screen to relearn. Both are full of it. I stopped at a different shop on the way home and they could not detect the sensors with their tool. they broke one tire down to verify if a sensor was installed and there are sensors. Has anyone had luck with after market sensors on these cars?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
I have aftermarket TPMS on my wheels, work fine but you need to go to a dealer to have them programmed with the car.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 2.5i Premium
138 Posts
You have to have the right sensors: the OEM sensors are Schraeder 315 MHz. The car has to know the IDs of your sensors so it doesn't pay attention to the sensors on the car next to you. If the TPMS system is put in relearn mode, it will look for sensors and note the first four it sees; the sensors must be active (they shut off when stationary to preserve battery life). Alternatively, the sensor IDs can be downloaded via the OBD II port using a TPMS tool (I use the Autel TS501; see the URL below). The TS501 can program Autel sensors, but not other brands. I use it to activate and download the sensor ID and upload them to the TPMS system. My dealership and my mechanic both charge $60 for programming the system, so I'm saving money fairly quickly.

It would be nice if there was a maintenance screen with a relearn button on the entertainment system, but at least on the '17 OB it's necessary to give it the command via the CAN buss (Subaru - are you listening?)

Tire Rack put Schraeder sensors on my rims when I bought them ($40/wheel), and I was able to activate ad read them with the Autel TS501, then upload them to the TPMS system on my '17 OB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHCFNTS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
In order to talk to your car, sensors must have the right transmission protocol specific to the brand car. Being 315mhz is part of the formula. Each also has an ID number.

The OEM supplier to Subaru is Schrader, and the OEM part number is 28103xxxxx

Tirerack actually stocks and installs Subaru-specific (Aftermarket) Schrader sensors (PN 28203 ) on wheels destine for a Subaru that's almost identical to what Schrader supplies to Subaru. But there is an alternative, such as a universal programmable sensor like the Schrader EZ-Sensor 33000 that can be programmed to act like Subaru sensors. Ronemus mentioned Autel, and they too have a universal sensor (MX-Sensor) in either 315mhz or combo 315/433 for wider applications.

You said that they couldn't even be pinged. That could mean they are totally blank and haven't been thru the programming cycle at all. Some tools must be given some data first in order to properly ping a sensor. For instance, with my Autel 408 you must enter some data first before trying, like Make/Model/Year and it uses a stored lookup table to ping with the right protocol. If the shop muffed the programming, they might not be picked up by the tool used by the second shop.

Once you DO get the four unique ID codes, you will have to upload them thru the OBD port with an appropriate tool. I've been using an ATEQ Quickset for this function since 2011 on 3 vehicles in the household. Most Japanese brands require this step. There is no relearn provision like there is on some Domestic makes.

If the shop is using universal sensor and programming them, there is an option to first capture the ID numbers on your Subaru, and then program these same numbers into the new set, effectively creating a CLONE set. If you do that, the tire changeover will be seamless, and the car will never know you swapped tires! That's my plan going forward with the Autel and their brand programmable sensors.

Reactions: Agcat

·
Registered
2017 Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the information. It appears the shop simply dropped the ball and sent the sensors out the door without any programming. I am bringing the originals back in so they can capture the data from the oem sensors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts