Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
As the title suggests I am looking at buying a 2011 2.5i MY11 outback with 170,000 klms on the clock.
I have had a look at the car in the dark only and it looked good enough to warrant a further inspection (during the day) and a test drive.
I didn't see any leaks and it looks pretty tidy. Full service history up until last month and timing belt done at 120k.

What would be the major issues/things to look at with this car and this many klms?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,822 Posts
specifics on the timing belt systems service would be very good to know. (extent of parts replaced and brand/source of the parts)

all 4 tires need to be identical brand/size/model and close to each other in wear.

make tight circles on dry pavement after it's warmed-up. Should be no bucking/jerking.

make several runs on and off the freeway, temp gauge should be steady.

if you could get it to a subaru-experienced shop for a prepurchase inspection, that would be ideal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lucky Texan,

Are these specific to the outbacks in regards to issues?
I.e. do they have a tendency to have bad CV joints? Tendancy to overheat? Etc.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
365 Posts
Are these specific to the outbacks in regards to issues?
I.e. do they have a tendency to have bad CV joints? Tendancy to overheat? Etc.
Subaru's CVT joints, bearings and brake are known to be 'weak' and prone to premature failure. As well as the head gaskets on the 2.5i NA engines up to about MY16, and oil consumption.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,822 Posts
many people sell cars because they have developed problems or they perceive them as becoming unreliable so, it's wise to proceed cautiously when buying ANY used car.

Subarus also have a sensitive AWD system that can be spendy to fix if it has been abused.

Subarus can be confusing for inexperienced people doing simple maintenance, the more owners it has had, the more likely some mistakes could have been made with fluid changes and parts selection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head gaskets are a bit of an issue, don't really want to blow one of those.
I'm somewhat mechanical and can do most minor/medium work myself however all the cars i have worked on have been older and simpler and I have never had a Subaru.
I will make sure to check all the brake/steering/suspension out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts