Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a set of WRX 2011 wheels fit on my 2008 Outback 2.5? No mods to my Outback. Here are the specs:

17x8
5x100
et 53(I think)?

What issues could I have? Rubbing on the struts? Will they reduce the life of the wheel bearings or other parts?

I know OEM tires are 225/55/17, but will that be too big? Should I go with a 215/55/17 instead, if the wheels fit?

Thanks,
Phil in Ohio

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a set of Rota Totque's on my 2006 in a 17x8. Offset is 48 if I remember correctly. I was debating going to a 235 tire but my tuner car buddy convinced me not to. Glad he did, I love the fitment and look.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! The plan is to pick up the wheels today, then decide what tires to put on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the wheels and think that maybe 235/55/17's are the way to go to protect the lip of the rim. What tires do you recommend?

How well do the 235's stick out past the lip of the rim?

jschue22-
Could you post pics of your 17x8's with 225's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts

I was worried about my rim lip too. I go on gravel roads fairly often and haven't had any issues, not even a scratch. My original plan was 235's but like I said, I was talked into 225's. Doing a quick nonscientific measurement I have about 3/8" of tire overhang on my 225 17x8s and about 1/2" overhang on my stock 225 17x7s wheels (storing them for winter). This is taken at the top of the tire, not at the ground where the car weight bulges it out.

FWIW I love my general altimax hp's. Cheap and handle well. Only knock is they're directional

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey did you end up getting the WRX wheels? I have a 06 OB and I'm going to pick up a set of these wheels you posted. The size is 17x8 et53 and original for our OB is 17x7 et48. I look at it as 30mm more in towards your suspensions. I'm planning on running a 10-15mm spacer to try an offset that but the guy has it for pretty cheap and might as well pick them up this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
iKhmaiFoSho
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing