Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a new 3.6 notice any oil leaks???

I usually park in the garage and haven't noticed anything. Until today, I had parked outside overnight. And go out come back, and notice a smei oil, semi fresh oil leak from the passenger's side of the engine.
I looked at the floor in the garage again, nothing. Took a peek under the engine without raising the car, just what I could see from the front with a flashlight, nothing.

Think I'll put cardboard down in the garage tonight and monitor it.

Still less than 1000 mile on this baby.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
No!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Anyone with a new 3.6 notice any oil leaks???

I usually park in the garage and haven't noticed anything. Until today, I had parked outside overnight. And go out come back, and notice a smei oil, semi fresh oil leak from the passenger's side of the engine.

I looked at the floor in the garage again, nothing. Took a peek under the engine without raising the car, just what I could see from the front with a flashlight, nothing.

Think I'll put cardboard down in the garage tonight and monitor it.

Still less than 1000 mile on this baby.

Disappointing. I also have a 2018 3.6. I can’t remember having a car with an oil leak since my ancient British sports cars. But this is my first Subaru. Will appreciate another report when you monitor further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
My car gave off all kinds of smells when new and I thought it was oil or antifreeze or even a small critter. It was just the newsness burning off.

No worries to be had. If it makes you sleep better, check the fluids but I'm pretty sure it's just the newsness.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
I'm different. I smell more when parked in the garage not outside.
As for oil leak remember that struts have oil in them and they sometimes leak. BTDT- not with outback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,148 Posts
Maybe UPS or FedEx?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
+1, known leakers (UPS/FedEx park up the driveway during business hours). Where exactly were you 'parked outside overnight'?
Without raising/looking underneath, what 'oil' color/smell/taste (tape/staple some copy paper on the cardboard)?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disappointing. I also have a 2018 3.6. I can’t remember having a car with an oil leak since my ancient British sports cars. But this is my first Subaru. Will appreciate another report when you monitor further.

Well I can't imagine there would be a difference between parking outside vs in the garage that would cause a leak. So I'm thinking false alarm or it was something else. As I put cardboard under the car overnight in the garage and nothing. Also the, what I thought was a oil spot in the driveway had evaporated. Oil usually sticks around.
I also checked the oil level, which was good.
So maybe washer fluid, or some trapped rainwater from earlier. I noticed when I changed out the bulbs in my fog lights, that there was a good amount of trapped rainwater in the enclosed fog light area. Not to cause problems, just plenty of nooks and crannies for water to sit.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Well I can't imagine there would be a difference between parking outside vs in the garage that would cause a leak. So I'm thinking false alarm or it was something else. As I put cardboard under the car overnight in the garage and nothing. Also the, what I thought was a oil spot in the driveway had evaporated. Oil usually sticks around.

I also checked the oil level, which was good.

So maybe washer fluid, or some trapped rainwater from earlier. I noticed when I changed out the bulbs in my fog lights, that there was a good amount of trapped rainwater in the enclosed fog light area. Not to cause problems, just plenty of nooks and crannies for water to sit.

Good news. Glad to know it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
It looks like a shocking amount but it's just hydrogen dioxide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts