Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 4 months in I have a blown speaker. I think it may be time to consider upgrading. Has anybody just replaced the Harmon speakers and had a decent upgrade or do you think I need to go with an amp as well. I would like to keep the stock head unit. Anybody who has upgraded would love to hear your systems and cost.

Craig

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
Its under Warranty! Get it fixed for free!

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,240 Posts
Say What?

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
Or perhaps it is time to get your hearing checked? Playing music so loud it is blowing speakers may be a sign of hearing loss.
+1.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,800 Posts
Not one constructive response on point with the OP's question?

Nice way to help him out.

Instead of not answering, the Grinch spirit went to the head of the line with your illustrative answers.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
Well 4 months in I have a blown speaker. I think it may be time to consider upgrading. Has anybody just replaced the Harmon speakers and had a decent upgrade or do you think I need to go with an amp as well. I would like to keep the stock head unit. Anybody who has upgraded would love to hear your systems and cost.

Craig
I think pduncan replaced everything. I know there are 1 or maybe 2 threads here by people whom have upgraded. I know someone (pd?) also dynamatted the whole car.

To the others. Ok if the OP has hearing loss. Is that his business or yours? I'm pretty sure my RF speaker is busted too, but I generally don't listen it loud enough to noticed the rattle, so I ignore it. I'm just outside the 36k warranty and don't care to pay to fix it myself.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
Not one constructive response on point with the OP's question?

Nice way to help him out.

Instead of not answering, the Grinch spirit went to the head of the line with your illustrative answers.
Post #2 seems to be a very constructive response...............

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,800 Posts
OP said he was interested in upgrading and no where mentioned replacing the blown OEM with another OEM.

He used the word "upgrade" no less than 3 times.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts

I agree. It could be problem with a HU. Get it checked and upgrade your speakers later.
Crutchfield is a good source for info about speakers.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I agree. It could be problem with a HU. Get it checked and upgrade your speakers later.
Crutchfield is a good source for info about speakers.
Rico makes a good point: if it's your head unit at fault, upgrading speakers won't do more than make it a more expensive bad result.

With the head unit being so buggy, you may need to actually reboot it to clear it out and verify if the sound quality clears up. Some people have their head units behave worse on average than others, but most are likely due to the absurdly buggy nature of their software. During one ride, I heard my front speakers (at least one of them) get extremely bad sound quality that resolved after restarting things a couple times. This was using one form of media: playing from another source showed it had nothing to do with hardware at all.

So, first make sure it's not specific to some particular media mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
An audio upgrade is certainly a possibility.

I own a '17 3.6 as well. My speakers are fine, however, the sound quality of the HK system is a joke.

I came across a local car audio store that can modify the audio system by installing a new amp, replacing the front and back speaker, and the sub woofer in the trunk. The deck will not be replaced.

I was quoted $2,400 for the upgrade. Quote includes Focal speakers, JL Audio sub woofer and JL Audio amp, wiring labor and etc.

The shop owner showed me an identical upgrade on a Toyota Highlander. The sound quality was amazing.

Since I can't afford a $2,400 upgrade, I will stick to the original HK system!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts