Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Prem w/ Eye Sight. 2.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home from work last night I heard a loud bang from the rear of the vehicle. Didn't notice any change in the way it was driving, so I kept going. When I got home I took a light and looked underneath the car to see if I ran over something and I saw that what I think is the sub-support frame was cracked halfway through.

I'll get some pictures but I'm concerned.

I think it's part number 20157AL05A

How hard will this be to fix?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
The part you listed isn't hard to change. (4) bolts. The rear wheels will need to be off to slide it out. A DIY'r can do this easy with ramps and jackstands.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,205 Posts
make sure those are for your car by year.

listings I see say 2015 and 16 legacy and outback. (such maybe incomplete though)

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
Its under warranty! Take it back to a dealer you trust!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! I'll look in to taking it to a dealership first, since there's only one dealership within 100-200 miles where I live. If they try to give me crap, I'll order it myself and change it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW. How critical is this part? If it snaps all the way through, Is it gonna cause major damage?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
487 Posts
I'd imagine that part controls toe or wheel angle, acting as the second mount point for the knuckle. If it broke, not sure the wheel would stay pointed strait.

How the heck did that crack, was there a large pot-hole or something in the road? - It appears in the diagram to be stamped steel, which I would expect to possibly bend, but not crack. With the cold, wet weather, I'm not about to go craw under and take a peak to verify if it's stamped steel or not in good clothes. (I could see it crack if it were a cast part, but the diagram appears to be a stamped part).

I want to know if the dealer claims it was due to abuse, or if they just replace the part....as in, there's a potential problem with that part perhaps on some vin numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was not cracked. I feel like an idiot because I wasn't willing to get underneath the car. It was where it was bolted to the frame. It looked like it was starting to split. It's fine. I assume I ran over something last night. I jacked the car up a few minutes ago and got a good look at it. False alarm, guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts