Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2300 miles and the new car smell is still there and absolutely NO audio, XM, FM, AM, CD, Messaging, Phone. DEAD.

Off to dealer, hour later needs a new amp. Be here in 2 days and then a 2nd trip to dealer.

Not off to a good start on this new car. Anyone else running into issues? I have seen other posts on other sites about the amps going, thought I'd get more than 5 weeks out of it though. Geez.

Kind of pining for my old Lexus with cassette and no nav! I guess we all want this tech stuff in cars but it sure seems full of bugs.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Kind of pining for my old Lexus with cassette and no nav! I guess we all want this tech stuff in cars but it sure seems full of bugs.
Seems to be the opposite to me. Cars are more reliable today than they've ever been even though they're packed with more and more features. My German cars have had issues but I pretty much expect that. The Infiniti's, Acura's, Lexus all were loaded with every option possible and rarely had a problem. In fact, the last real repair I've made to a Japanese brand was on a Lexus GX that had the transfer case fail around 90k miles. Probably the least technical piece on the car.

FWIW we've had ours 2 months/~5k miles and we've had the infotainment lock for a minute or so once but that's it. I wouldn't sweat something like a bad amp. Stuff happens and better for it to fail now and get it over with. If you had electrical gremlins otherwise, then I'd be worried.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
2300 miles and the new car smell is still there and absolutely NO audio, XM, FM, AM, CD, Messaging, Phone. DEAD.

Off to dealer, hour later needs a new amp. Be here in 2 days and then a 2nd trip to dealer.

Not off to a good start on this new car. Anyone else running into issues? I have seen other posts on other sites about the amps going, thought I'd get more than 5 weeks out of it though. Geez.

Sorry to hear about this, and yes it is an inconvenience and frustrating. I believe this is a known issue, and there is a least one thread here with lots of folks who had this Amp issue. Apparently, it was a bad batch from whoever supplied them. I think I read last week that someone was told that it would be two weeks before they could a new Amp, so I guess they have caught up. I hope you will be able to enjoy your new Outback after the new amp gets put in and that you will not experience any other frustrations.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
One incident does not make a trend. You have no idea of what the problem is and until the dealer looks at it anything we can say is speculation.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
One incident does not make a trend. You have no idea of what the problem is and until the dealer looks at it anything we can say is speculation.
No speculation. Dealer said it was a bad amp and it is being replaced. Parts fail, that is why the vehicle comes with a warranty.

The hvac fan in my wife's '17 Forester failed after a thousand miles or so. No big deal. Dealer replaced, been 10k miles since without another issue.

Today's cars are little more than thousands of parts from third party suppliers, bought from the lowest bidders, cobbled together by a "auto manufacturer".

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Parts fail, that is why the vehicle comes with a warranty. ...
Today's cars are little more than thousands of parts from third party suppliers, bought from the lowest bidders, cobbled together by a "auto manufacturer".
Two things: That's why SIA is considered an Auto Assembly plant. The only thing they 'manufacture' there are parts of the body, from the raw coils of steel.

And second ... your first line is such a common sense and intelligent statement that it should be enshrined and made part of the home page of this forum. (That's also why Subaru recommends SAS - because they also know that if those parts break after the initial factory warranty, they aren't going to be cheap to replace.)

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
(That's also why Subaru recommends SAS - because they also know that if those parts break after the initial factory warranty, they aren't going to be cheap to replace.)
Let's be real here...Subaru "recommends" SAS because it's a profit center. Nobody offers warranties just for the charity of it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the dealer ordered the new amp and installed it yesterday. Worked fine for the ride home and two errands. Went out last night, fairly stormy here, XM was suddenly very spotty, cutting in and out and then stopping altogether so I blamed on the storm. Flipped over to AM FM and CD exact same thing then tons of static as if you’re in the middle of a thunderstorm with AM radio. Then nothing. Called the dealer from the car audio came back on but was solid static played it for him. Service manager said I have no clue bring it back.

Maybe it’s something other than amp but this is beyond frustrating

2500 miles

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
494 Posts
So the dealer ordered the new amp and installed it yesterday. Worked fine for the ride home and two errands. Went out last night, fairly stormy here, XM was suddenly very spotty, cutting in and out and then stopping altogether so I blamed on the storm. Flipped over to AM FM and CD exact same thing then tons of static as if you’re in the middle of a thunderstorm with AM radio. Then nothing. Called the dealer from the car audio came back on but was solid static played it for him. Service manager said I have no clue bring it back.

Maybe it’s something other than amp but this is beyond frustrating

2500 miles
Do you not do any of your own automobile maintenance or troubleshooting? Sounds like something didn't get hooked up all the way, wiring harness. And/or a ground wire on the amp didn't get hooked up. I believe the amp is under the passenger's seat. Seems pretty simple to take a flashlight and take a look, make sure the connector is seated properly. But that's just me before running to the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI-one month later the video I took of the audio (so they could 'see' and 'hear' what I am experiencing as I drive & change stations) was sent to engineers in Japan. They are replacing the radio now (after replacing the amp last month). Sounds more like a screw driven through a wiring harness causing an intermittent short to me but what do I know.

Car purchased 1st week of March, has been at dealer on/off for 3 weeks, 2500 miles, received email today from Subaru indicating once fixed they will be happy to provide you with goodwillcompensation. Does this mean I am getting a Gift Card to a Goodwill store near me?!!

Sure hope this fixes the issue, I'm not betting on it, will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
494 Posts
Yeah, Subaru really dropped the quality ball as they've admitted. I found my fuse box under the dash loose and missing the mounting hardware after I experienced the no sound problem from the infotainment system.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,708 Posts
FYI-one month later the video I took of the audio (so they could 'see' and 'hear' what I am experiencing as I drive & change stations) was sent to engineers in Japan. They are replacing the radio now (after replacing the amp last month). Sounds more like a screw driven through a wiring harness causing an intermittent short to me but what do I know.

Car purchased 1st week of March, has been at dealer on/off for 3 weeks, 2500 miles, received email today from Subaru indicating once fixed they will be happy to provide you with goodwillcompensation. Does this mean I am getting a Gift Card to a Goodwill store near me?!!

Sure hope this fixes the issue, I'm not betting on it, will keep you posted.
Goodwill compensation is probably them either writing you a check for your time and inconvenience, or Subaru Bucks to use for future Subaru related purchases (gear, repairs, parts, etc.).

Either way, that's some good customer service.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2018 Audio Update 2,500 miles

UPDATE :Car has spent pretty much the entire month of May at the dealer. I took in in May 1st, I picked it up yesterday May 29th. They received authorization to place a new head unit in vehicle. (This was after a new amp was previously installed). They asked if they could keep the car another day or two to make sure it was working. I was fine with this. I am not upset with my dealer, it's not them. I believe 'business days' at the dealer (not including weekends) I'm at about 22 days since early March 2018 purchase.

Anyway, picked up car, 40 miles later the static and crackling (so loud you can barely hear music) began last night, 8 hours after getting the car back after a month. Like last time, I was able to capture a video of this, just like last time which ended up per Subaru with the engineers in Japan. I remain convinced somewhere in the wiring harnesses something is causing an intermittent short. Short of tearing the car apart, not sure how this gets addressed.

Surely did not expect this with the reputation of Subaru.

I will be heading back to dealer for the 4th time. Lemon law in Illinois:
Is My Vehicle a Lemon?

In order to be covered by the Illinois Lemon Law, a vehicle must:
  • have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or
  • be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.
The Lemon Law DOES Cover: New Cars (purchased or leased)
Light Trucks and vans under 8,000 pounds
Recreational vehicles (excluding trailers)
Vehicles in their first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first
Vehicles purchased in Illinois

1 - 14 of 14 Posts