Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 Outback 3.6R with about 1600 miles, it says in the manual to change oil at 6000 miles. My dealer says to come in at 3000. It looks like cars101 advises synthetic my dealer is telling me to use Regular???????????

CRM

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
600 Posts
I have an 18 Outback 3.6R with about 1600 miles, it says in the manual to change oil at 6000 miles. My dealer says to come in at 3000. It looks like cars101 advises synthetic my dealer is telling me to use Regular???????????

CRM
Same interval with my dealer. With today’s engines and oil formulations, 3k (IMO) is too early, especially for synthetic. I would only do less than 6k if I drove the car really, really hard.

The dealer is greedy. Subaru knows what they’re doing. Follow their advice, keep good records, and save some money!

You might want to ask them why they suggest different intervals than Subaru, and see what they say. :grin2:

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to do the first one at 3k. With that said, the 3.6 holds 7 quarts, so synthetic should get you well over 6k miles per change, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts

CRM

Much different than my dealer. While I have never dealt with them before my 2018 3.6R, they seem very straight arrow so far. They had me in for a brief car checkout and then re-brief on how everything works, one month after delivery. I left that session with an appointment to see them again next March (6 mo. after delivery) along with advice to call and reschedule if I reach 6000 miles first. And the dealer will do oil change and other 6000 mile stuff free of charge. We'll see how it goes, but certainly inconsistent with your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,023 Posts
In 2014 the service schedule for a 3.6 does call for it's 1st Oil change at 3,000 miles. The 4 bangers got synthetic while the 6's got dino oil. Don't know what the schedule is for the newer models. I did change mine over to synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
My dealer also said first change was at 6k.

These days the cost differential between syn and conventional oil is less than $20, if you buy it yourself. Syn oil really shines for extended drain intervals so you can strictly follow the OM or branch out and go longer. As a historical note, iirc, SOA used to spec 7.5k Mike changes and UOAs I've done on my car support that with ease.

Consider an early change if it bothers you. I got rid of the factory fill at 2.4k, M1 for 3.6k after that and then I'm on a 6k schedule but I'll probably bump that to 8k at the next change.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,667 Posts
My dealer tried to claim I live in a "severe service area". I run 7 quarts of Mobile 1 in my 3.6. They're nuts if they think I'm going to change oil at 3,500 miles. This is the same dealer that tells me the engine air filter and cabin air filter I changed myself in my driveway a week earlier are "dirty" and "need to be replaced for $120.00". It's the same dealer that told me I needed a CVT fluid flush at 30,000 miles along with replacing front/rear differential fluid.

I really need to change dealers. I prefer to have the dealer do oil changes so there's an unambiguous record that it has been done. After 2 1/2 years, it's also time for a brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
597 Posts
Has anyone bothered to read their warranty and maintenance pamphlet that was in the glove box of the car? It clearly says the first oil change is at 6K miles. For the type of oil that's on page 12-5 of the bigger owner's manual. That should have also been in your glove box. YMMV:)

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
I've always had my dealer tell me a smaller oil change interval than the manual, for every car I've ever bought. Choosing whether to trust the engineers that designed the car and wrote the manual or to trust the salesman trying to sell me more oil changes doesn't seem like a big decision though.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,111 Posts
Has anyone bothered to read their warranty and maintenance pamphlet that was in the glove box of the car? It clearly says the first oil change is at 6K miles.
Manuals? We don' need no stinkin' manuals!

Reactions: Ken972

·
Read Only
453 Posts
Unless you live in Arizona or Alaska (extreme climates) or you use your vehicle in off road conditions or do heavy towing (I mean pulling a 10k lbs trailer)Or marine situation where the motor is running at high RPM for hours. Synthetic is absolutely not needed and there is zero benefit by using it. Don't believe the crap people tell you, do the research. On the other hand, if you do any of the above mentioned things, you would be foolish not to use Synthetic. Synthetic is designed for extreme conditions where regular oil simply is not good enough and would lose its vital properties when pushed to those limit.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
The majority of income for dealerships is the service department. The sooner they get you in the more opportunities they have to get someones money!

·
Registered
2016 Wilderness Green 3.6R
42 Posts
I grew up in a generation where my father instructed me to live by three rules;
If it's a woman, respect her
If it's an officer, salute him/her
and... change your oil every three months or three thousand miles.

I still live by the first two, the last one, not so much. If you think about it, there are only two reasons to perform maintenance on your vehicle. To keep it running in a safe and sound manner and to insure that if you do have a breakdown that you're not providing the manufacturer with a reason to deny assistance.

IMO if you simply follow the recommendations found in the owners manual, get the work done by a reputable source and keep your receipts you'll be able to enjoy many miles of carefree motoring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem I have with the 3.6r oil change intervals is the amount of time, not the mileage. My wife only drives maybe 4k miles in 6 months and never anything close to 6K miles. That means I have to change my oil based on time, not mileage. I only change it to preserve warranty coverage because I know how crazy Subaru gets with oil change intervals. I run syntheric in the 3.6r too. They're also off their rocker with the oil change intervals of 6 months/6K miles on a low revving, naturally aspirated 6 cylinder with a 7 QT oil pan capacity. My 3.0 liter, turbo BMW with 360hp/380tq stock has a 7 quart capacity goes 1 year 10K miles before a change and many have done oil change analysis on the oil and have seen that oil still well within it's service limits. Why would the NA 3.6 be any different? For a company that supposedly cares about the environment, you'd think they'd get on board with a synthetic oil requirement and extending the oil change interval to the industry average.

·
Registered
2017 outback 3.6
63 Posts
better to do the first oil change sooner than later, and get rid of the break in loose metal floating around in the engine and oil. I had to take my 2016 M4 in for 1200 mile first oil change, and if i did not, they said it could affect my warranty. Anyhow, the first two years is free maintenance, so what they hey..change it! If you change your oil sooner it is only beneficial to the engine, you only need to balance cost vs effectiveness.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
140 Posts
Unless you live in Arizona or Alaska (extreme climates) or you use your vehicle in off road conditions or do heavy towing (I mean pulling a 10k lbs trailer)Or marine situation where the motor is running at high RPM for hours. Synthetic is absolutely not needed and there is zero benefit by using it. Don't believe the crap people tell you, do the research. On the other hand, if you do any of the above mentioned things, you would be foolish not to use Synthetic. Synthetic is designed for extreme conditions where regular oil simply is not good enough and would lose its vital properties when pushed to those limit.
Many would disagree with you. Synthetic allows lower viscosity values to be safely used, and increases fuel economy. It also allows longer service intervals before changing. Why do you think the manufacturers recommend it?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I had mine done at 3k. Mine are free for as long as I own the car so it wasn't like the dealer was trying to sneak in an early oil change to make money. Then I went again at 6k and then 6k intervals every since. I would say you don't need to get it changed at 3k but it can't hurt either I would think. Other than your wallet.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,667 Posts
The problem I have with the 3.6r oil change intervals is the amount of time, not the mileage. My wife only drives maybe 4k miles in 6 months and never anything close to 6K miles. That means I have to change my oil based on time, not mileage. I only change it to preserve warranty coverage because I know how crazy Subaru gets with oil change intervals. I run syntheric in the 3.6r too. They're also off their rocker with the oil change intervals of 6 months/6K miles on a low revving, naturally aspirated 6 cylinder with a 7 QT oil pan capacity. My 3.0 liter, turbo BMW with 360hp/380tq stock has a 7 quart capacity goes 1 year 10K miles before a change and many have done oil change analysis on the oil and have seen that oil still well within it's service limits. Why would the NA 3.6 be any different? For a company that supposedly cares about the environment, you'd think they'd get on board with a synthetic oil requirement and extending the oil change interval to the industry average.
A BMW doesn't have a boxer engine where the bottom of the head gasket is sitting in motor oil. The famous Subaru head gasket problem was largely due to gasoline contamination of the oil which ate the head gaskets. The frequent oil changes in a modern Subaru are an attempt to get that contaminated oil out before it causes damage. If you do long highway drives pretty much daily, you're unlikely to have contaminated oil. If you do cold starts and short drives where the engine doesn't fully warm up, you can get gasoline contamination of your oil.

You could probably do just fine running synthetic for 1 year/10k miles if you get the engine fully to temperature every day. If you do below freezing cold starts where the car typically doesn't warm up fully, even 6 months/6,000 miles is iffy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts