Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really enjoying being a member of the Subaru family especially after this winter in the Northeast, any recommendations on a first car for my daughter, trying to keep a lease payment low, not sure the pro's and cons of a Impreza,crosstrek,forester or legacy. Does the additional ground clearance of a crosstrek or forester really make a difference in the bad weather. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is Eyesite a must??

CRM

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
904 Posts
I'm having the same thoughts for my middle daughter who currently has a permit. My oldest is a terrific driver and has always had an interest in cars/driving/etc. She knew the type of car she wanted and I was on board as long as it was safe. My middle has shown no interest in driving or cars at all, but needs her license. The only input she's offered about what car she wants is that she wants small and not an SUV/Crossover. I've been thinking about an Impreza, Civic, Elantra, and Corolla for her, all with the advanced safety systems. She's going to be the type that's distracted easily (mainly by her thoughts) and isn't overly confident behind the wheel so I think Eyesight and similar systems would be a big plus. The AWD would likely help as well if she gets caught out in bad weather, but generally I can't imagine her driving if the roads are really bad. The Crosstrek is more expensive, less fuel economy, and really doesn't have any useful benefits that I can imagine a young driver would need. I suppose if you think your daughter may go out in deep snow the extra ground clearance could help. Fun time!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT w/Remote Engine Starter, Fog Lights & Auto-dimming Mirror w/Compass
150 Posts
I have an 10 Outback 2.5i and 18 Impreza Limited fully loaded. I had test driven a 17 Forester XT prior to buying the Impreza. I would recommend a Forester for its ground clearance and higher seating position over the impreza. The ground clearance is important if the roads don’t get cleared on time after a major snowfall. Since the sales of cars are on a decline compared to crossovers, higher seating is important from a safer point of view.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT w/Remote Engine Starter, Fog Lights & Auto-dimming Mirror w/Compass
150 Posts
Eyesight has been fantastic for especially on long drives or after a late evening flight. As I get tired I rely more ont he automatic cruise control. I highly recommend it since distracted driving is quite common these days.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
New 2018 Crosstrek on the global platform, not last years on the old impreza platform.

eyesight is a must. if you are going to buy newer things. and you can just think about the joy of your daughter "not" driving by the braille method damaging this new purchase,...and things around it. (be it other cars, ...people, bicycles, deer, bear, coyotes, posts, utility poles,...school buses). maybe you ask your insurance company if they have discounts for eyesight (they should considering how much it saves them).

if buying slightly used: avoid 2015s and all the drama of the CVT extended warranty.

2016s are coming back off lease, and in the fall should be back in quantity.

(edit: some 2015s maybe listed as having factory rebuilt transmission in them already,...these rebuilt with good 2016 style parts).

_____

if you can wait for fall: 2019 Forester on the global platform. (the one they dropped the tarp on in NYC a few weeks ago).

and before the year is out: a Crosstrek plug in hybrid. (no specs yet,...plug ins should be called Evoltis,...running toyota hybrid parts on the subaru 2.0 engine).

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
Crosstrek has got to be one of the coolest cars to have as a 17 year old. It is just so cool looking. You can also sleep well knowing she can get through any snow she will encounter, as long as she is not a maniac. Also, you'll know the Crosstrek has got the Subaru safety features.

The extra height does matter. Sometimes, in a blizzard, you may come outside to a car that is sitting 12 inches deep in snow. At that moment, the extra height will pay for itself 10 times over.

Eyesight is only a must if your daughter regularly partakes in distracted driving or is a terrible driver. Otherwise, she'll be fine.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I have a daughter too. Though cars will be driving them selves when she hits that point. I still believe size matters. I would put my daughter in a Legacy with eyesight in a heart beat. Tank of a car and I never found my legacy to be shy in the snow. A proper trunk for kids to stow school stuff outa sight goes a long way in our area we have weekly posts about stolen bags and such left in wagons.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
Mixed feelings about Eyesight covering for a young driver. It can ("can", not "always will") protect them from some mistakes, but the lesson may be "meh... why bother, the car stops even if I don't pay attention."

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I have a daughter too. Though cars will be driving them selves when she hits that point. I still believe size matters. I would put my daughter in a Legacy with eyesight in a heart beat. Tank of a car and I never found my legacy to be shy in the snow. A proper trunk for kids to stow school stuff outa sight goes a long way in our area we have weekly posts about stolen bags and such left in wagons.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Mixed feelings about Eyesight covering for a young driver. It can ("can", not "always will") protect them from some mistakes, but the lesson may be "meh... why bother, the car stops even if I don't pay attention."
have you driven with a 17 year old recently?

I have. :frown2:

happily never on my insurance. 0:)

things you learn from trying to teach youth good practices, is that it is hard to make them remember "don't strike the car ahead EVER",
..."and icy roads are bad on plain old all seasons."

. if the kids can live that long to learn.

in my family's case I wish the car had eyesight, and rollover stabilty control, as he lost it rolling it on black ice going slow.
a 2005 forester. (rust free, oil leaking gaskets, 180,000 miles)

$3000 in the toilet, on liability only, boy only had it about 2 months...

someone may give him a 2003 CRV with 225,000 on it. just before the trans craps out.

...or I will be stuck driving him round trip to college and leaving him with no wheels to wreck.

________

but what do I know, I use to drive my parents 70-90hp subarus at top speed, (just took a long time to crank one up,...vs. our modern 170hp things).

.I would occasionally jump them also.

·
Registered
227 Posts
easy answer---subaru forester new platform or 2015- present OB she got the 2015 OB limited

we planned ahead, my wife needed a car, bought the limited with all safety options then after 3 years rolled it over to my 16 yr old just last march 6th trained her for a whole year in large parking lot after hours, stop start left right turn etc.

now my 14 yr old will need something looking for next spring either end of year OB but the safety extras on the new platform are worth the wait

but if now bigger is better the forester has best visibility tested OB number 3

if i could wait i'ld seriously get new forester with all safety the most intriguing being "driver alert" that notices distractions and fatigue with AI

my friend lost his daughter to an accident and told me that he doesn't want a tombstone that says "34 mpg" no joke.

heavier is better safest get a honda odyssey. but my budget allows me to put her in a safest car if that means new then ok

also my daughters are shorter 5'2 and 4' 11 (maybe) wife and I are 5'10 and 6' the memory seats is a godsend fits my 5'2 girl just fine keeping 10" from airbag

so consider OB used or wait for forester new platform with all safety driver alert, front and rear braking, the works we love our subaru its good enough for my daughter

wife loves it won't have a car without eyesight.
also if she has an iPhone with iOS 11.3 turn on driver do not disturb it senses her driving and turns text phone alerts off check that out

buy out someones end of lease OB limited

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
have you driven with a 17 year old recently?

I have. :frown2:

happily never on my insurance. 0:)
Not for more than a decade! :)

things you learn from trying to teach youth good practices, is that it is hard to make them remember "don't strike the car ahead EVER",
..."and icy roads are bad on plain old all seasons."

. if the kids can live that long to learn.

in my family's case I wish the car had eyesight, and rollover stabilty control, as he lost it rolling it on black ice going slow.
a 2005 forester. (rust free, oil leaking gaskets, 180,000 miles)

$3000 in the toilet, on liability only, boy only had it about 2 months...
I'm not sure how eyesight would have helped in a rollover while going slow on black ice. Stability control, maybe. Maybe. Still, there may be a lesson about driving on ice remembered for a lifetime there.

If the loss was 'only' $3000, the liability-only policy may have been a good gamble that didn't happen to pay off in this case. The increased premium would probably have been a good fraction of that.

someone may give him a 2003 CRV with 225,000 on it. just before the trans craps out.

...or I will be stuck driving him round trip to college and leaving him with no wheels to wreck.

________

but what do I know, I use to drive my parents 70-90hp subarus at top speed, (just took a long time to crank one up,...vs. our modern 170hp things).

.I would occasionally jump them also.
Knowing how to jump-start a car is a very useful skill. My daughters could also change tires.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,265 Posts
As long as you don't get a Jeep Wrangler

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
I'm just shaking my head at all this talk of buying a brand new car for a 17 year old. It makes me feel very old.

FWIW, our 2015 Legacy was the first car I'd bought new since my 1969 Porsche 911S, and even that was paid for entirely with money I had earned myself. (It's not like we're poor, either, just moderately frugal. We paid cash for both the Legacy and our 2016 Outback.)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Knowing how to jump-start a car is a very useful skill. My daughters could also change tires.
I meant I use to Jump them, airborne...like the dukes of hazard.

use to have a oddly shaped culvert bridge here that made a high crown in the very rural twisted road,
and if you could go fast enough like more then 65mph you could break 4 tires free of the road going over it.
(at least on cars that were light for the 80s,....and not damage the suspension either).

Reactions: skipw

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
I raised 3 daughters. Each of them got used Japanese 4 door sedans. Good visibility, decent utility, easy to find used in decent condition, and better odds that her friends would ride with her as their cars were usually smaller(unless you think her friends are better drivers than she is....not the case for me).

I know a coupla people who bought new cars for their teens who wrecked them within months of the purchase.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I'm just shaking my head at all this talk of buying a brand new car for a 17 year old. It makes me feel very old.

FWIW, our 2015 Legacy was the first car I'd bought new since my 1969 Porsche 911S, and even that was paid for entirely with money I had earned myself. (It's not like we're poor, either, just moderately frugal. We paid cash for both the Legacy and our 2016 Outback.)
Right there with you. A new car for a brand new driver? Not sure about other areas, but the local high school parking lot here is like a demolition derby racetrack. I wouldn't want to give a 17 year old anything other than an old beater to drive to school.

I put my oldest in a 1998 Nissan 240sx... huge mistake as it was wrecked within 3 months. Second kid was given a 1997 Ford Explorer. That one held up much longer.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
904 Posts

I'm glad I have the option of buying them whatever I please. I'm relatively frugal with many things but cars are not one of them. With my oldest daughter, she drove a used car for a year or so and then I bumped her up to a new car once I was confident she was responsible with it. I can give them a good reliable car and an education to start out life so why not? This middle one is now driving the oldest's first car and will do so for awhile. She is not going to care what she drives as long as it's a reliable appliance. Finding a used car (that's a decent value) with the advanced safety features isn't easy so she I may end up with a new car for her as well. It won't be expensive though because she just doesn't care.

Do you still have the 911? I have a '75 Carrera and it's by far my favorite.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts