Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm listening to Xm and Waze goes over the bluetooth, the sound on xm cuts out and I need to hit the xmradio button for the sound to come on. I have an Iphones 6S Plus and the phone is connected to usb, car is registering as Apple Carplay. Is anybody else having this problem?

CRM

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
When I'm listening to Xm and Waze goes over the bluetooth, the sound on xm cuts out and I need to hit the xmradio button for the sound to come on. I have an Iphones 6S Plus and the phone is connected to usb, car is registering as Apple Carplay. Is anybody else having this problem?

CRM
The following suggestions are based on non-car play iphone connectivity and similar problems.

When Bluetooth and USB are connected, you need to tell your phone and the head unit how to communicate. Bluetooth or via USB. I think if USB is connected and carplay is in use, the BT is available and so waze will send voice direction updates out via BT. You can select how waze communicates, as in phone speaker only, or Bluetooth to the car. I would suggest speaker, OR, disable BT and allow it to use the car multimedia (via usb only).

I have several apps that take over BT and forget to release it when done. It is rather annoying. I turn off BT when it gets to be a problem. If this is the right solution for you, great.

I hope someone has better suggestions than mine!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i will give it a try

crm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that didn't work. Turning off Bluetooth changed nothing the radio cuts off as soon as sound comes on from waze. If I'm listening to music in CarPlay waze sound comes on and the music continues.

CRM

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think the issues is the Bluetooth but rather car play. Apple has never been known to play well with other devices. As I said in another post I have an iPhone 5 and did have this same issue today. I did not try to resolve it on my trip today but I suspect this is going to be a combination of Apple and Harmon Kardon. I think you are going to be stuck on this one because the phone is telling HK to switch and it never knows that it is to switch back.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Touring
83 Posts

CRM
I don't think you can seamlessly use XM and another audio source. This is my experience with a 2016 with the base 6.2 inch screen system,. Not the same as yours, but I think still applicable.

XM, AM, FM, Bluetooth, and USB/Ipod (which means iPod connected by USB) are all separate audio sources for the HU. You can 'listen' to only one source at a time.

If you are listening to XM, that's the only audio that's going to your speakers. It sounds like when a Waze voice prompt comes in, the system is smart enough to change to audio source to play the prompt. You believe it's coming through Bluetooth, I would have thought it would have come through through the USB since you are connected that way for Carplay). In any case, the system seems to be smart enough to change audio sources. But, then you are left with the source no longer being XM.

The only way I have found to have both music and nav directions both be played through the head unit is to have both the music and nav from the same source (i.e the phone) and directed to the same output, I connect my iPhone using Bluetooth, and play my phone's music and nav voice prompts over Bluetooth. Works equally well if I connect phone via USB and play music and nav via USB.

But I've never found a way to integrate a phone audio source (music/nav) with a non phone audio source like XM/AM/FM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
altakid,
thanks for the heads up. I must say very disappointing, I have had the car not even a week.

crm

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, same here with a '17, so it's not only a CarPlay issue. I don't have CarPlay. However, I have noticed that it seems to treat Waze instructions exactly like phone calls. Generally, it returns to the original audio source if it is FM radio, a different iPod, or the phone via USB. However, it does NOT return to XM, just like the OP described. Occasionally I'll have to "prime" the BT connection with a phone call (usually to my work voice mail) to get Waze to start giving BT instructions. I have not found Waze to give instructions via USB. Either the phone speaker or BT.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Touring
83 Posts
Yeah, same here with a '17, so it's not only a CarPlay issue. I don't have CarPlay. However, I have noticed that it seems to treat Waze instructions exactly like phone calls. Generally, it returns to the original audio source if it is FM radio, a different iPod, or the phone via USB. However, it does NOT return to XM, just like the OP described. Occasionally I'll have to "prime" the BT connection with a phone call (usually to my work voice mail) to get Waze to start giving BT instructions. I have not found Waze to give instructions via USB. Either the phone speaker or BT.
Actually, I had forgotten about the prompts as a "phone call". In Google Maps, which I use there are two Bluetooth options. 1) Play prompts over Bluetooth or 2) play prompts as Bluetooth phone call. Waze may have the same options.

I didn't spend very much time with the phone call option because there was a time delay before the prompt played and the first part of the prompt was truncated. "Turn right at Main Street" came out as "at Main Street". I don't think it had any problem going back to the original audio source though.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
217 Posts
There is a setting for sound output in Waze:
Device default
Play on phone speaker
Play as Bluetooth phone call

Look under Settings/Sound & voice/Sound output

Mine is set on Device default and I haven't noticed any problems the few times I've used Waze.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts