Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback 2.5L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that Subaru is making some 'nice rims'... considering that the new Crosstrek has the same bore 56.1, et of 55, and lug pattern of 5x100 for which many people want to put aftermarket rims on, leaves them with sets to unload for a relatively good price... I decided to pick up a set and slap them on.

225-55/18
this gives you 0.8" wider traction and a lift of 0.7" over the stock 205-70/15

issues:
clearance: you have to remove the center screw on the front two mudflaps and then it will only rub a tiny bit turning. If you cut out the little bulge in the mudflap where that center screw was it won't rub at all. you should then install the screw by drilling a hole in the mudflap at the inside-most spot and relocating the screw there.

speedo: by my calculations of 767 rev/mi versus the new 727 rev/mi you'd see an increase of 6.5% speed over the reported speedo. So at 70mph you're actually at about 74.

...and you'll need an alignment... yeah i still need to get an alignment, you probably noticed.
18inchers.jpg

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback 2.2, 5sp
37 Posts
Those are nice wheels and look good.
Nice info on the fitment, too.
I measured the backspacing on my factory wheel at 5 3/4 in. Did you happen to measure these before mounting them?

·
Registered
1999 Outback 2.5L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those are nice wheels and look good.
Nice info on the fitment, too.
I measured the backspacing on my factory wheel at 5 3/4 in. Did you happen to measure these before mounting them?
I did not, but i'm about to put the factory 15s back on for a quick minute so i'll measure those rim's backspace as best as I can since there are already tires on them and edit this post to reflect that measurement.

update: backspacing: 6, 3/16"
after removing the rears it appears that the tires are rubbing slightly on the strut assembly shaft just below the spring perch. Probably going down to a 215 width would solve that, but for now i'll use what's on there 225s as it is barely rubbing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts