Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Finally got the rear blown shock replaced with new one and the car ride is back to good and compliant again. I did not realize that the rear has blown for much longer. This translates to bad rough ride I've been experiencing.

so are KYBs a better bet with the RSR springs? really digging the stance, wouldnt mind firming up the ride on the OB.

do you have fender measurements front and rear?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
so are KYBs a better bet with the RSR springs? really digging the stance, wouldnt mind firming up the ride on the OB.

do you have fender measurements front and rear?
Yes, stock shocks are valved very soft so you will still get squishy jiggly rebound control. Either B4 or B6 is better match for the rsr
30" all around or 17" from bottom of wheel center to wheel arch.
I have them off if youre interested. I am running on bc coil. Nothing wrong with the setup. I just want it lowered by another inch PM me for pricing. Photos to follow

Yes, stock shocks are valved very soft so you will still get squishy jiggly rebound control. Either B4 or B6 is better match for the rsr
30" all around or 17" from bottom of wheel center to wheel arch.
I have them off if youre interested. I am running on bc coil. Nothing wrong with the setup. I just want it lowered by another inch PM me for pricing. Photos to follow
ill keep you posted, still doing some looking around. i cant decide to drop it with RSR springs or gain alittle height with OE rallitek springs

i have about 10k to go on my OEM struts before i feel like they should be replaced, so ill be doing those and springs at the same time. i do wish the OB had more of an All-road stance, so maybe the RSR springs will do alittle of that with out sacrificing too much ground clearance.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
ill keep you posted, still doing some looking around. i cant decide to drop it with RSR springs or gain alittle height with OE rallitek springs

i have about 10k to go on my OEM struts before i feel like they should be replaced, so ill be doing those and springs at the same time. i do wish the OB had more of an All-road stance, so maybe the RSR springs will do alittle of that with out sacrificing too much ground clearance.
The all road has about 5.5" ground clearance so even with the rsr, the ob still has at least 7" of ground clearance. If you absolutely need the stock clearance than oe height stiffer springs (rallitek or king) are good with b4 or b6.
Theres a guy in youtube with lifted crostrek and rallitek springs demo his stock shock being too bouncy

Its possible. I don't have easy access to a shock tester for the original shocks/struts I removed but none of them had leaked or operated odd when compressed and expanded by hand. I'm happy that the ride sounds as solid as it felt.

For anyone considering replacing their front struts, I am suggesting to go ahead and replace the front mounts (has the bearing in it), mine was getting crunchy.

I read in another thread someone had to swap control arms? im really considering this....just springs and shocks and youre good? possibly replace the endlinks

I need a little help wrapping my head around all this. I have a 2019 3.6R and I feel that my shocks are too stiff for the factory springs, especially the slow speed rebound. If I go over steep speed bumps slowly, the front tires actually come off the ground and the car drops. At faster speeds its more controlled. So I'm lost as to why "supercow2610" thinks the rebound in the factory shock doesn't offer "enough control" which I take as too soft in rebound. I know the shocks are different in 2019 so maybe they went to far, but I'm told the design of the factory shocks always leads to too much low speed rebound.
I'm looking at the B4 shocks to have those be put on instead. The B6 is simply stiffer correct? Are there any other differences between the B4 and B6 such as life expectancy?

On your RSR springs, they lowered the car 1.5" solely by way of a shorter spring? I really like the ride height of your car! but I'm not interested in a stiffer ride..... unless getting proper shocks on my 19 shows me the springs are too soft and the shock was holding the car up. I do sometimes feel the springs may be too soft but it's the stiff 19 shocks that really make the car bounce and feel unsettled. I would love to find good ride and a safe way to lower 1.5" in my 19.

I found this table online thru a post here somewhere. Looks like the strut mount changed on the rear in 18. Anyone have spring rates for the different part numbers below? If you aren't using or selling your old springs, ship them to me and I can get them measured so we can create a real spring rate table. But dynoing shocks is harder as most of the shock dynos my friends use in racing won't fit an oem strut.

I believe the B4 for the 15-19 Outback is a twin tube and the B6 is a monotube, as is the B8.

I put Bilstein HD monotube shocks in my Legacy GT wagon and it raised the ride height a bit.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I need a little help wrapping my head around all this. I have a 2019 3.6R and I feel that my shocks are too stiff for the factory springs, especially the slow speed rebound. If I go over steep speed bumps slowly, the front tires actually come off the ground and the car drops. At faster speeds its more controlled. So I'm lost as to why "supercow2610" thinks the rebound in the factory shock doesn't offer "enough control" which I take as too soft in rebound. I know the shocks are different in 2019 so maybe they went to far, but I'm told the design of the factory shocks always leads to too much low speed rebound.
18-19' OBs shocks are KYBs. I do agree the shock performs well at speed. At slow speed over whoops, it is horrible. The dampers let the car sway side by side alot more than I prefer. It takes longer for the car oscilate before returning to steady.

I'm looking at the B4 shocks to have those be put on instead. The B6 is simply stiffer correct? Are there any other differences between the B4 and B6 such as life expectancy?
The B4 is quoted to be 10% than stock from Bilstein. B6 is monotube and is firmer than stock by alot (a lot slower on rebound than stock).

On your RSR springs, they lowered the car 1.5" solely by way of a shorter spring? I really like the ride height of your car! but I'm not interested in a stiffer ride..... unless getting proper shocks on my 19 shows me the springs are too soft and the shock was holding the car up. I do sometimes feel the springs may be too soft but it's the stiff 19 shocks that really make the car bounce and feel unsettled. I would love to find good ride and a safe way to lower 1.5" in my 19.
Tbh, I felt the RSR might pair better to the B4 than B6. B6 does feel firm at times. However, the RSR/B6 are a lot more confident-inspired compared to stock interms of handling and stability and not being a lot stiffer.

[/QUOTE]
I found this table online thru a post here somewhere. Looks like the strut mount changed on the rear in 18. Anyone have spring rates for the different part numbers below? If you aren't using or selling your old springs, ship them to me and I can get them measured so we can create a real spring rate table. But dynoing shocks is harder as most of the shock dynos my friends use in racing won't fit an oem strut.
View attachment 496269
[/QUOTE]

Discussion starter · #37 · (Edited)

View attachment 496269
Tbh, if your main concern is getting the rsr ride height without compomosing ride quality and comfort.
Strangely both Legacy and OB have 6" of shock travel front, legacy 4 and ob 5 rear. This means that youll get full shock travel going to legacy ones vs rsr 1" loss.
Id highly recommend this thread
Lakeguy77 swapped front legacy strut assembly, rear legacy parts with forester shock for travel. This is best bang for your buck.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.