Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more pissed at myself than anything else, but having a lost key replaced for my 2010 just cost $193!!!!!!

How in f#@*s sake can a key cost $193? I can get a smartphone for that much. How can a key possibly cost that much, even with insane dealer markup? I should be able to check my e-mail with this key.

I know keys are expensive for newer vehicles but I'll tell you, that kind of money does not endear me to Subaru.

I’ve never lost a key before this one, and I never plan to again. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm more pissed at myself than anything else, but having a lost key replaced for my 2010 just cost $193!!!!!!

How in f#@*s sake can a key cost $193? I can get a smartphone for that much. How can a key possibly cost that much, even with insane dealer markup? I should be able to check my e-mail with this key.

I know keys are expensive for newer vehicles but I'll tell you, that kind of money does not endear me to Subaru.

I’ve never lost a key before this one, and I never plan to again. Lesson learned.
I'm in San Francisco where we have single file two car garages with the spots deeded to the unit. Ours is the outer parking spot. The renter up stairs had her car broken into and some keys stolen along with the key to our 2001 VW which she has so she can move our car to park hers. This was several years ago and by the time a new key was purchased the car reprogrammed with the existing keys etc - the cost was just shy of $400.

At the time our 2001 Legacy cost me about $5 to have a new key made. So even $193 for a key is cheap compared to the VW.

·
Registered
504 Posts

My son only got one key with his used Audi. I was going to get him another as a gift, over $300, he will be getting by with one key.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

As others said, not unreasonable. Consider that these keys have the remote built in as well as the chip for the security system (fuel cutoff with invalid key). If you need the remote as well as the key that can drive the cost up to the level you see. The dealer also has to reprogram the vehicle for the keys and transmitters.

·
Registered
982 Posts
When you buy a smart phone they're built by the tens of thousands AND subsidized by the carrier. Go buy a new one when you're not eligbile for an upgrade and a smartphone will cost a lot more than $200.

·
Registered
921 Posts
This may help somebody in the future... You can buy uncut keys such as what's listed below for under $40.

Uncut Subaru Legacy Outback Tribeca Keyless Remote Key | eBay

Apparently, the dealer has to program these particular remotes and cut the key for you. But it's possible that you can save a little money on the cost of the part itself. Another thing to look into would be whether or not your dealer will do it for you if you brought the key in from an outside source.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may help somebody in the future... You can buy uncut keys such as what's listed below for under $40.

Uncut Subaru Legacy Outback Tribeca Keyless Remote Key | eBay

Apparently, the dealer has to program these particular remotes and cut the key for you. But it's possible that you can save a little money on the cost of the part itself. Another thing to look into would be whether or not your dealer will do it for you if you brought the key in from an outside source.
I wonder if many dealers would do this, would be nice, though, if I could even just buy the key itself at a standard online discount, say 25%, and take it to the service dept for programming.

I guess it's not unreasonable in regards to the competition, but I think it's a bit ridiculous. Seems like Subaru could make this a low-profit item, kinda throw me a bone. Like I said, oh well. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seriously you guys are saying that a key for a car, even with a remote/electronics in it is reasonable at $193? Have you been stolen from so long that you're used to it by now?

Jokes aside, the hardware should not cost more than $10 and the labour shouldn't cost $180. It is just too much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seriously you guys are saying that a key for a car, even with a remote/electronics in it is reasonable at $193? Have you been stolen from so long that you're used to it by now?

Jokes aside, the hardware should not cost more than $10 and the labour shouldn't cost $180. It is just too much.
I guess realizing that economies of scale are an important factor in costs for certain items is a fact of life. That's one of the reasons that certain computer chips cost as much as they do vs. mass produced ones.

And yes, there is a gouging factor. The alternative: let you car sit on the driveway because you can't drive it?

Such is life.
Morale: Don't lose/break/damage your keys

·
Registered
477 Posts
When we purchased our 2013 Acura RDX, we were told replacement keys were in the neighborhood of $400. Having lost a key in the past and messed up a lot of tires, we purchased the key & tire replacement warranty with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
coffee used to cost .25 cents a cup, last time i was at perkins, it was 2.29 a cup
phones used to be included in your phone bill (landline) now phones cost 200 for Icraps.
cars used to cost 9g, now they are 25g

Don't you think the dealer sees people willing to pay 200 for a phone are also willing to pay 200 for a key?

that is the going rate.

I just ordered a blank off Ebay for my BRAT it was 3 bucks shipped, and the hardware store charged 1.49 to cut the key.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't think anyone disputes the fact that a key/remote "shouldn't" cost that much, but they do. Back to the OPs question, I think they point trying to be made is it's not just a Subaru problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
My guess is it's not the cost of a key but key+programming. The key shouldn't be more than $50 since it's a simplest possible circuitry and programming job of whooping 5 minutes should be complementary on a $25k+ car....but that's just me. Stealerships are in rape and abuse business so I am praying I won't have to bring it in for warranty repairs. I think I paid similar money for my old mitsubishi key...and it wasn't even remote key

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wanted an extra key for my wife's X3 and it was around $180. I ended up getting a valet key (all plastic, no electronics) for $36. That's a good option for a second/extra key, but of course won't cut it if you want to use it as the main key...

·
Registered
166 Posts
And let us not forget to ask WHY are all these things so expensive? Demand. Increased car theft resulted in chipped keys as a deterrent. Let's posit a car maker that takes out all those things that increase safety, security, comfort & convenience in cars. No belts or airbags, no A/C, no cruise, stereo, etc. The maker of this super-cheap, easy to maintain & repair car doesn't exist, and if they did, they'd go broke. This stuff exists in cars because we demand it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
$193 is not that bad!

My son bought a used 2005 Corolla which came with just the valet(gray) key. We went to the local Toyota dealer requesting a new master key. They quoted us $2000.00 (that's right $2K) stating they had to re-flash the ECM to create a master key. I even wrote to Toyota and they replied that the quote I received is the actual cost for a master key. There are tons of horror stories on the internet. Well, my son found a dealer in southwest VA that made two master keys for $200. Some dealers are unscrupulous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
17 Participants
WiscoOB
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing