Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1996 outback with the 2.2 engine. it was running when i parked it, and now that i have replaeced the cluthch it wostart. it is getting fule to the rail and dow n to the injectors , however the injectors will not spray. i put fuel in the throttle body and car starts . i feel it is the injector relay so i bought one form advance auto. but i can not find the relay location. if any one couyld help out with this i would be a happy dad. where is the injector relay locATEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a 1996 outback with the 2.2 engine. it was running when i parked it, and now that i have replaeced the cluthch it wostart. it is getting fule to the rail and dow n to the injectors , however the injectors will not spray. i put fuel in the throttle body and car starts . i feel it is the injector relay so i bought one form advance auto. but i can not find the relay location. if any one couyld help out with this i would be a happy dad. where is the injector relay locATEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
According to alldata its located on left side under dash or in kick panel.They didnt have a exact location.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I don't see a fuel injector relay in the wiring diagrams. However the injectors are powered through the "main relay", which powers a wide range of other functions as well. (It's a large relay, with 6 connections.) I would tend to doubt the relay as a problem unless I've already established, through measurements, that it's faulty.

The injectors (all four) get 12 V through the relay. The other side (electrical) of the injector wiring goes to the ECM, and is grounded there momentarily by the ECM to cause the current to flow through the injector solenoid which opens the spray valve.

Have you checked for power at the injectors? With one or more of the two-wire injector electrical connectors disconnected, and the key at ON, check for Voltage at one of the two pins -- I believe there should be at least 10 V.

Then with the injectors connected, have someone crank the engine while you listen with a mechanic's stethoscope at each injector. If the injectors are being pulsed by the ECM, there will be a distinct click as each injector is activated and released. If there's a click the injectors are working. If there's no click, the ECM isn't triggering the injectors. It's not likely a fault in the ECM; rather, and in light of the fact that you were working in the engine/tranny area, it's possible a connector is off in the wiring harness system, or the wiring to a sensor, such as at the crankshaft, is off, and the ECM is preventing the injectors from firing for good reason.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the relay is above the fuse box on the drivers side it is the top relay a real pita to get to it has a green connector

·
Registered
246 Posts
Try starting the car with the A/C on full blast. It puts more of a load on the motor, meaning it tells the computer to spray more fuel. It's what I do in my diesel plow truck that isn't worth fixing the injectors. I don't imagine it'd be really any different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Braap
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing