Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my water pump. I went the cheap route (I know) and got a remanufactured water pump from Advance Auto. I need to know if I have the wrong kind of pump. The bolts do line up and the structure looks the same. The impeller is different...here are pics:

Pump that was on car:

Pump that I bought:

Engine photo for good measure:

Does the one I bought need to go back??

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The impeller on the reman you bought is actually a more efficiant design than the one you removed. The open impeller allows coolant to spill out of the blades resulting in decreased flow.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Both types are available under two different Subaru part numbers. The open-style impeller was introduced with the original 2.5 l engine, if memory serves. In the aftermarket, both types are also available and considered fully interchangeable.
By the way, the removed pump was not original to the car because it was installed with RTV sealant. What did you pay for the re-manufactured unit? Chances are, one could get a new one through eBay/RockAuto/Amazon etc. at about the same price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
avk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing