Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total rebuild of the 1996 2.2 after I found a cracked cylinder wall in old block. After about 6 months of running perfectly, I started to note an intermittent puff of white smoke at startup, maybe 2-3 time a week. Last couple months, car would run fine, then make a quick 5 minute stop, then would not start. Would turn over endlessly, but not start.

Spark plugs and compression test good. Move to fuel system.

Replace fuel pump as it was still factory with over 200000 miles on it (might be a record!). Problem persists. Replaced filter at the same time.

Replaced spark wires as they were originals, same problem. Tested the ignition coil and it seems to be fine.

A couple weeks ago, car refused to start altogether. Just turned over until battery died. Recharged, nothing. Checking throttle body, found some oil down inside intake...check pcv valve, looked terrible, caked with oil so I am assuming this is where the oil in the intake manifold originated from.

Replaced PCV valve, and removed all the connecting hoses and cleaned them out.

Tried to start the car on starter fluid, and after running roughly for about 2 seconds (with puff of white smoke) car ran perfectly, and would restart while engine still warm.

But, in the morning, it won't start without starter fluid, then runs fine. (no noticeable smoke anymore at startup). I have attributed the no start to oil leaking onto the spark plugs at night from the air manifold, but 4 days after new PCV valve still not starting in the morning. About ready to get the sledge-o-matic out. :cursin: Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
next morning try this, turn the key to ON and listen for the fuel pump. It should run for a second or 2 then stop. cycle key to of, the ON again. Do this 4-5-6 times. Then attempt to start. If you are losing fuel pressure over time, this should build the pressure back up.

Dunno if any of the plugs you pulled were wet with fuel, but you could try starting with the accelerator on the floor. That should put the system into 'flood clear' mode with max air and minimum fuel. (seems unlikely but - worth a try)

make certain the big hose from the IACV is connected and not split or leaking - though it's likely OK as I don't think you'd idle if it was bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel pump cycles on for 2-3 seconds and off. Will try to do the repeated cycle and see if it makes a difference.

I have tried all sorts of accelerator starting combinations, nada.

I have checked hoses repeatedly. Once it starts it runs perfect...which is why it is so frustrating. Never had such a tough time finding a problem on a car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would the fuel vapor canister have anything to do with it? Never in all my years even touched one, and don't really know what problems it would cause if it were bad. Always seemed like a cars appendix to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
col_potter
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing