Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback 2.5 Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a Legacy outback and am having an issue that stumps me. In FWD the issue does not happen, but in AWD the back right tire feels like it's locking up at slow(less than 5mph) speeds. The scanner cannot read the abs module and it does have a new caliper on the left but not the right. No other issue happen at the same time. Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
automatic or manual? (presuming it is automatic, as you can put it in FWD).

any dash lights?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Auto.

No dash lights at all.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,054 Posts
Auto.

No dash lights at all.
torque bind maybe, (that is fixable), does it make the noise / grabbing when in turns or in a straight line.

I would keep it in FWD mode until you figure it out.

are you running 4 tires that are exactly the same?

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
torque bind maybe, (that is fixable), does it make the noise / grabbing when in turns or in a straight line.

I would keep it in FWD mode until you figure it out.

are you running 4 tires that are exactly the same?
I believe it's only in turns. It's currently in FWD until I can figure it out. Hoping it is an easy fix.

Same tires, replaced two years ago. All wearing evenly.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,054 Posts
I believe it's only in turns. It's currently in FWD until I can figure it out. Hoping it is an easy fix.

Same tires, replaced two years ago. All wearing evenly.
anyone checked the front / rear diff lubes ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone checked the front / rear diff lubes ?
I don't think so. It just had a bunch of work done at Subura in Atlanta GA. Would they have done it then?

My mechanic/boss/subaru lover said it should roar if it's rear diff? Is that the case? It did not roar at highway speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you know it's not in FWD?

When the AWD disabling fuse is inserted, a FWD(or AWD) warning light should be on in the instrument cluster.

If the light was on for a while, but now is out, then yes it could be a bad contact at the fuse holder, or a bad fuse. But, it could also be a bad bulb or a bad connection to the bulb.

Note: If the transmission control module's on-board-diagnostics has detected a problem in the AWD control system, it will not activate the FWD option when the fuse is installed.

When the ignition switch is turned to ON but not as far as Start, does the AT Oil Temp warning light turn on for some time? At that time, or just after the engine is started, does the AT Oil Temp light flash? Or is it on initially, but goes out when the engine is started?

(Your other thread; probably best to keep it all together. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/435345-1996-outback-awd-abs-issue.html )

The FWD light is not on. Subaru of Gwinnett actually put it in FWD for the girl I bought the car from thinking it was actually a steering issue. And it's been in FWD without issues since last May. I pulled the fuse last week and discover the locking up/binding issue, and immediately put it back in FWD. ever since then the FWD light has come and gone.

The light flashes when I first turn it on but is normally off by the time I put it in gear/finish backing out of my parking spot. I haven't noticed if it's on with the key just being on. It goes off about the same time the air bag warning light goes off.

The only code coming up is for the bank 1 cat. No other codes pending or in history.

I just came from the MK1 VW world, so these Japanese cars are a bit new on the specific sides. I can find my way around a car pretty well, but the specific intricacies of Subarus evade me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts