Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a question that may be obvious, but I would like a solid answer so I dont make a mistake.

I have a 1996 Outback 2.2 5spd, im come to find out it has been abandoned in the parking lot of the place i have been working at this past 2 weeks or so. so i saw it cus its a subaru and asked everybody around (the businesses) and they all confirmed my suspicion of it being abandoned, so i went to the dmv got the paperwork filled it out and im now waiting for the title in the mail...

well since it had been sitting for a good year and half 2 years the battery was dead as a door nail probably going to need a battery buttttt i can get it to start and run if i jump start it with a vehicle with a big battery.

but this part kinda sucks...it will start and run but it has a horrible rod knock. i got it drive around a little bit to see if brakes and tranny works and it does but no power over 1500-2000 rpms obvious its probably due to the horrible music coming from under the hood but hey so far its only costed me 6 bucks to own this car.

I dont know a whole lot about Subaru engines but enough to get around the ones that i own right now and I'm pretty mechanically incline. what I would like to know is if I can use ANY EJ22 2.2 sohc in the car with no problem. Or what Year(s) of EJ22 can i use that will cooperate with the 96 outback components?

also i have located what has said to be a 1998 legacy 2.2 sohc enigne from a 98 legacy 2.2 automatic, will that just bolt right up and be plug and play?

and just today I found out I might be abke to pick up a free running engine but it is out of a 1994 impreza 2.2 automatic, will it bolt right in and be plug in play or will I have issues with the egr stuff? and if i have issues can I just take what I need from the 96 outback 2.2 and put it on the 94 or what?

I appreaciate any help i can get thanks.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
#1 - if your engine has EGR you must get a replacement engine with EGR or live with a CEL all the time.

Best would be '95 or '96 maybe '97. After that I think you can still use them but you might have to keep your old intake manifold so that things match up.

Probably would be easiest to get one from an MT vehicle, else you of course need to swap out the flywheel/flexplate.

If the engine you get has the emissions canister under the rear by the tank vs. under the hood you might have to play around with that a bit to get it to work.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
edit: i hope i caught this before a lot of folks read it. my first write up had some errors regarding the exhaust ports. i have corrected it.

the 96 outback ej22 w/manual trans does not have EGR, or so i have been told. and if this is true then you can use any ej22 90 - 98.

there are a couple of things to watch out for:

90 - 94
are obd1 so use your current intake manifold with all the things on it. and you will / may need the single port exhaust y-pipe. the exhaust ports on the heads are different.

95 is a match. you will / may need the single port exhaust y-pipe. the exhaust ports on the heads are different.

96 - 97
should be a perfect match.

will not have the necessary plumbing for the charcoal canister. you can correct that by using your current intake manifold. but if the engine you install has EGR, you will have to plug the hole on the rear of the driver side head. this is not your best choice but doable.

99 - 00
will not work.

95 - 97 ej22s from auto trans cars (usually) will have EGR and yours does not but you can use them anyway. the computer will just ignore it.

90 - 96 ej22s are non-interference.

so for simplicity sake keep to a 96 - 97 engine. it will be less confusing. but if you find a real deal on a 90 - 95 or even a 98 it will work, just ask for ''how to'' help.

this is probably more info than you can use or understand right now. if you find an engine report back and we can give you specifics to that year.

good luck and welcome.

PS, i don't think the 94 impreza came with an ej22. i would have to double check, but that is what i remember. 95 was the first year for the ej22 impreza. before that it was an ej18. in theory you could use one of them but it wouldn't have any power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edit: i hope i caught this before a lot of folks read it. my first write up had some errors regarding the exhaust ports. i have corrected it.

the 96 outback ej22 w/manual trans does not have EGR, or so i have been told. and if this is true then you can use any ej22 90 - 98.

there are a couple of things to watch out for:

90 - 94
are obd1 so use your current intake manifold with all the things on it. and you will / may need the single port exhaust y-pipe. the exhaust ports on the heads are different.

95 is a match. you will / may need the single port exhaust y-pipe. the exhaust ports on the heads are different.

96 - 97
should be a perfect match.

will not have the necessary plumbing for the charcoal canister. you can correct that by using your current intake manifold. but if the engine you install has EGR, you will have to plug the hole on the rear of the driver side head. this is not your best choice but doable.

99 - 00
will not work.

95 - 97 ej22s from auto trans cars (usually) will have EGR and yours does not but you can use them anyway. the computer will just ignore it.

90 - 96 ej22s are non-interference.

so for simplicity sake keep to a 96 - 97 engine. it will be less confusing. but if you find a real deal on a 90 - 95 or even a 98 it will work, just ask for ''how to'' help.

this is probably more info than you can use or understand right now. if you find an engine report back and we can give you specifics to that year.

good luck and welcome.

PS, i don't think the 94 impreza came with an ej22. i would have to double check, but that is what i remember. 95 was the first year for the ej22 impreza. before that it was an ej18. in theory you could use one of them but it wouldn't have any power.

wow thanks for all the info most of it made sense, i will just have to check tomorrow to see if this 96 outback has the egr valve. also it currently has a single port exhaust header on it.

i am still going to look around and keep options open, but i got more info on the free running 2.2....it is a 2.2 sohc dual port exhaust heads engine from a automatic subaru, haven't confirmed what model from. edit: just got told its definitely a 2.2 and could be a second half year 94 if they made changes but not 100% sure but definitely 2.2 liter

from the info you gave me all i would have to do is swap my intake manifold and everything on it and get the dual port header use that and then since the tranny is still attached to the free 2.2 i would take the auto tranny off of the free 2.2 and take the clutch/flywheel off of the 96 2.2 and install on free 2.2 then slap it in the outback it should be good? and since its from a auto trans subaru it will have the egr like you said so as long as mine does not have egr then it will work and the computer will ignore it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
all i would have to do is
1 / swap my intake manifold and everything on it and
2 / get the dual port header use that and
3 / take the clutch/flywheel off of the 96 2.2 and install on free 2.2
4 / then slap it in the outback it should be good?
correct.

and since its from a auto trans subaru it will have the egr like you said so as long as mine does not have egr then it will work and the computer will ignore it.
yes, in theory. a couple of things to check.
1 / there is a casting on the block under the power steering pump identifying the engine, ej22 or ej18. confirm that the free engine is an ej22. they look the same to st rookies except for the casting. i just don't know the particulars on the ej22 when they introduced it on the impreza.
2 / the 94 free engine could be from a car built in 94 but actually a 95MY. this is pretty much a non-issue.
3 / if the free ej22 has EGR, when you install your non-EGR intake you will have to plug the hole in the rear of the driver side head where the pipe ties in to the exhaust n the head.

items 10 and 14 are EGR related in link below.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/type_23/carter_ventilation_recirculation/emission_control_egr/illustration_1/

EDIT: on the other hand, if the free ej22 has EGR and is actually a 95, there is a chance it may plug in and go. i'm not very familiar with the impreza. all my work has been on the legacy. i do know the 95 ej18 has EGR for both the auto and manual trans, and that it is not plug and play with the 96 lego. you do in fact have to swap the intake.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
canubaru's list above isn't complete and missing some information/border line incorrect, so consult that carefully...not all 96-97 are necessarily a perfect match...or all 95's...and all 95's would require (not might) exhaust manifold...or another work around (which is possible)...but rather than write a book you need to get us some info to narrow this down.

If the free engine is an EJ18 it'll work just fine - EJ22 intake will bolt right to it. They are low on power but it'll actually pair up nicely in the manual transmission where you can keep it in the power band better than an auto. All EJ18's are dual port so you'll need a dual port exhaust with it. I have a Legacy Lsi Automatic I swapped from EJ25 to EJ18 and it's fine for a daily driver.

Same with any 95 or earlier EJ22 - dual port - so you'll need the exhaust manifold to in order to install it in your 1996.

Only way around that is to bolt your 1996 heads to the 90-95 block.

That's also the way around any EGR issues - just bolt the drivers side head to the block, which would then have the EGR port.

Rather than write a book, because there are multilple scenarios and multiple ways to proceed, simply answer these questions first
1. does the vehicle have EGR?
2. does the motor you want to use have EGR?

·
Registered
399 Posts
#1 - if your engine has EGR you must get a replacement engine with EGR or live with a CEL all the time.

Best would be '95 or '96 maybe '97. After that I think you can still use them but you might have to keep your old intake manifold so that things match up.

Probably would be easiest to get one from an MT vehicle, else you of course need to swap out the flywheel/flexplate.

If the engine you get has the emissions canister under the rear by the tank vs. under the hood you might have to play around with that a bit to get it to work.
Not entirely true...

I've "tapped" into the exhaust manifold to feed the EGR exhaust gasses a couple of times & had no CEl's.
I used bendable transmission oil hardline welded into cut-down OEM EGR pipes to get from the e-manifold to the EGR port. I use any male/female flare type fittings I have available to tap into the e-manifold & keep my DIY EGR pipe/intake manifold/exhaust manifold serviceable with a just a wrench...

This opens up any PI engine (1.8l or 2.2l) as a replacement option.

Note: stock 1.8l & 2.2l longblocks have been successfully low pressure turbocharged with good results / reliability - see RS25.com for build threads

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
i was hoping he'd specify his information, wasn't trying to question yours. yours may be right on if all manual trans 96 OB's are non-EGR. good call, i wasn't aware of that if it's true.

EJ22's all 95's are dual port, all 96 and up are singles.

previous poster - yes you can custom fit an EGR line, it's simple as far as welding goes but most folks don't get into that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
correct.

yes, in theory. a couple of things to check.
1 / there is a casting on the block under the power steering pump identifying the engine, ej22 or ej18. confirm that the free engine is an ej22. they look the same to st rookies except for the casting. i just don't know the particulars on the ej22 when they introduced it on the impreza.
2 / the 94 free engine could be from a car built in 94 but actually a 95MY. this is pretty much a non-issue.
3 / if the free ej22 has EGR, when you install your non-EGR intake you will have to plug the hole in the rear of the driver side head where the pipe ties in to the exhaust n the head.

items 10 and 14 are EGR related in link below.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/type_23/carter_ventilation_recirculation/emission_control_egr/illustration_1/

EDIT: on the other hand, if the free ej22 has EGR and is actually a 95, there is a chance it may plug in and go. i'm not very familiar with the impreza. all my work has been on the legacy. i do know the 95 ej18 has EGR for both the auto and manual trans, and that it is not plug and play with the 96 lego. you do in fact have to swap the intake.

hey sorry ive been kinda MIA just been busy at work. i also got some more info on everything and i hope it can clear some confusion. also i asked the dealer about the 1996 haveing egr or not they said that the auto did and the manual did not

the 1996 outback sport that i have now has a 2.2 non-egr in it right now with a single port header.

the free 2.2 which i just got home from looking at is indeed a 2.2 and does have the egr setup on the intake mannifold, it also is a dual port head which i also will be able to get the dual port header as well.

so with that said all i have to do is take the intake mannifold off of the 96 obs and put it on the free 2.2 and then figure out a way to plug the egr hole?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
so with that said all i have to do is take the intake mannifold off of the 96 obs and put it on the free 2.2 and then figure out a way to plug the egr hole?
correct.

btw; you are lucky.

generally the OBS is not the same as the legacy outback. and since you did not specify in your first post, you created some confusion.
i doubt the discussion would have been the same if you had made it clear about it being an 96 impreza ej22 5speed outback SPORT.

but you are now good to go.

the challenge with plugging the EGR port in the driver side haed is identifying the threads. if you can do this you just get a plug. i have not done it so i cannot help.

if you cannot ID the threads and find a plug, one solution maybe ''JBWELD'', not recommended. another may be to transfer the wiring harness , and throttle body from the 96 intake onto the ''new'' engine intake. this would leave the EGR intact and still give you the needed ''obd2'' harness and the TPS. not sure about the IAC. i'm just theorizing.

PS: are you sure the new engine is from an impreza?? a 95 legacy engine is probably obd2 ready. compare the TPS (without removing it) and wiring harness connectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
correct.

btw; you are very lucky.

generally the OBS is not the same as the legacy outback. and since you did not specify in your first post, you created some confusion.
i doubt the discussion would have been the same if you had made it clear about it being an 96 impreza ej22 5speed outback SPORT.

but you are now good to go.

the challenge with plugging the EGR port in the driver side haed is identifying the threads. if you can do this you just get a plug. i have not done it so i cannot help.

if you cannot ID the threads and find a plug, one solution maybe ''JBWELD'', not recommended. another may be to transfer the wiring harness , and throttle body from the 96 intake onto the ''new'' engine intake. this would leave the EGR intact and still give you the needed ''obd2'' harness and the TPS. not sure about the IAC. i'm just theorizing.

PS: are you sure the new engine is from an impreza??

sorry i am new to this car model and just became aware that there was a legacy outback during the same years.

i thought it was just a impreza outback, not impreza outback sport. i have learned now that the impreza outback is the sport one period.

edit to ps, i am pretty sure it is from a impreza either a 4 door or 2 door automatic but i am checking right now as those are the only 2 cars he has at his house.

edit again found out it did come from a 2 door impreza

here is picture of the car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and we are back from the dead!!

well good news and bad

the good! the car runs and purrs like a kitten.

the bad has a grinding/bearing fail sound coming from 5spd transmission when the car is in neutral and when it is is driving down road in gear.

when the car is running and clutch is pushed in the noise goes away and everything sounds peachy..

so i dk what it could be now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
quicksubie
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing