Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I bought the vehicle and was able to drive it for about two weeks before the camshaft bearing broke, ruining the valves. The least expensive/cheapest option seems to be replacing the engine, and I had a few questions before ordering an engine.

I plan on buying the same engine, EJ25D. Will I have to worry whether it can properly accommodate the EGR valve? Does it have one?

Are JDM engines safe/reliable choices? They seem to be my least expensive option and really money is my biggest holdup.

Are there any other things I need to know about before proceeding? I'm ready at this point to spend my 1200 some-odd $s to purchase the engine and have it shipped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the cheapest solution is likely to buy used heads and install with new head gaskets.

second, have the valves on the one head repaired, (usually only a few are bent) have flatness checked on both and reinstall with new head gaskets. especially if you are doing it yourself. miles may make that choice less desirable.

another cheap option is to install a used ej22 engine from a 95 auto trans car. but since you say you are going ej25d, this may not be what you want.

JDM ej25d engines, even low mileage ones, still run the risk of blowing head gaskets at some point. so there is that. and i don't thing JDM engines have EGR which you need to avoid a constant CEL.

all the US ej25d engines, 96 - 98 (some 99s), they all have EGR so no worriers there.

i have a set of 98 ej25d heads with 130k miles, complete, i'll sell for $200, plus shipping. the engine was pulled for a severe oil leak on the rear and they found the crank had too much end play, front to rear movement. they will bolt on with no worries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be used by my wife as a grocery-getter, so performance is not an issue. Does the EJ22 engine need to come from the 1995 auto, or would other years work as well?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the ej22 can come from any 95 - 98 auto trans car (with ej22).

but the 95 is the easiest swap.
95 - 96 have HLAs so no valve adjustment is needed.

the 96 - 98 need the matching exhaust y-pipe manifold from the donor car. the exhaust ports on the heads are different.

and 97 - 98 are interference engines . that is not a big deal if you replace ALL of the timing components when you install it. but it is noteworthy. those years also have a hair more horse power, but not much.

but what is important : you need EGR and not all ej22s have EGR. usually ej22s from auto trans cars do , but double check before you buy or swap. without EGR you will have a CEL you cannot get rid of.

check www.car-part.com, put in your zip to see what is close and then look for a deal by price. shipping is likely to coast $150 or more. you will have to search each year separately. don't forget to look at the imprezas as well. they have the same engine, but 95 is not OBD2, so it may not be a direct swap. maybe stick with 96 - 98 impreza. i'm not 100% on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
getting confused now

ok, these are great details for the ej22, but now i'm second guessing myself on the ej25 replacement.

An ej25d is coming out of the car. If I get another ej25d it will swap easily using parts I'll already have?

EJ22 or EJ25D, either way I'll need an EGR.

What are your thoughts on tapping a new EGR valve into the JDM engine if that's what I decide to go with?

·
Registered
1998 Outback wagon, 5 speed winter package
25 Posts
I would just go with new heads. While doing it, you will/could replace the head gaskets and timing belt etc and the engine would be read to go for 105000 more miles.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
it can be done, but it can ruin the head if done wrong.

there is a pretty good write up somewhere. i 'll see if i can find it.

but it is going to be cheaper to fix the one you have or swap in an ej22.
to fix the one you have, $125 to check the heads, plus the cost of replacing the bad valves. $250 or so for timing parts from the import experts on ebay. and $200 for the head and manifold gaskets. plus the labor to install the above parts and R & R the engine.

to swap in an ej22, $400 - 500 for the engine, $125 - $200 for timing parts from ebay, plus labor.

the JDM engine is $1200, and you will have the same timing belt cost as for your engine. (head gaskets too if you want to be sure.)

so it just depends on your budget, how long you plan on keeping the car. keep it long enough and you will get your money out of it regardless of what you do.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
regardless of the cause of the t-belt failure , the usually damage for 96 - 99 ej25s is a few bent valves. and this is usually caused by valves hitting valves, not piston hitting valves.

and usually when a sprocket fails it is caused by the toothed idler bearing going bad and seizing.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
then the bottom end needs replaced of course. you said bent valves...now lower end bearings...why the change?

JDM engines are not a good option. They're expensive and prone to headgasket issues just like any other EJ25. The blow headgaskets indiscriminately, mileage is meaningless. terrible solution when there are better, cheaper, and more reliable options.

if it's a cam issue - replace the head with a used one, they're not hard to find.

if it's the engine block:
1. put some effort into finding an EJ25 with a little known history or already having a new headgasket replaced, on a forum like this possibly.
2. install an EJ22.

I have an EJ25 i'll be installing new headgaskets on shortly and I'd likely sell it for less than JDM with new headgaskets and timing belt. I'm not really offering as you're probably too far away and I can use it to repair/sell another Subaru, just an example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts