Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 wrx 2.5 ;-) 93 L stage rally prepped
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like it says guys i have a 1996 impreza outback sport and it has a 5spd manual transmission.

i just got it running and everything and when putting it all back together i dident notice anything really damaged, but when the car is running and it is in neutral or when i am driving it down the road with it in gear it makes a grinding noise kinda like the noise you get if the bearings in your skateboard get sand in them...but then as soon as you push the clutch in the noise slowly dies out and goes away and everything sounds peachy

any input on what it could be?

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,815 Posts
Throw out bearing, pressure plate, pilot bushing, any bearing within the transmission.

Does it have oil in it?

·
Registered
05 wrx 2.5 ;-) 93 L stage rally prepped
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throw out bearing, pressure plate, pilot bushing, any bearing within the transmission.

Does it have oil in it?

thats what it sounds like more is a bearing with dirt or somthing in or no grease in it.

there is tranny fluid in it. i have the parked on a flat surface and will recheck the level tommorrow.

but the car drives and shifts ok the clutch looked good and all it just makes this noise only when im in gear and driving or sitting at a stop in neutral, if i push clutch pedal in the noise goes away and everything sounds like it just rolled out of factory

edit: in mean time i looked around the classifieds for used trannys.. i found ones says 90-94 manual awd transmission works great.

could i get that and just swap it with the one in the 96 outback sport?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same noise happening in my 96 outback sport so I did a clutch kit, everything but flywheel and the noise is still there. Did your noise go away?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts