Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm new to this site and joined because I just purchased a 97' outback 5spd manual AWD wagon and will be turning it into a trail rig. Upgrades will include strut spacers, new kyb struts, rised king springs, shock and strut mounts, wheel spacers, body lift, trailing arm spacers, and once I'm done see what size wheels will look good, fit, and perform. Gonna be a slow build but it will be done and posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cold air intake with a fender cap for a quick snorkel setup only after I waterproof all wiring and electronic components and compartments, large diameter throttle body, full exhaust system with new performance headers, performance programmer, turbo if it can be encased to work with the snorkel system, and other basic parts wires, spar plugs, stiffer motor mounts, silicone radiator hoses, better fan, better radiator, programmable fuel management, whatever I can without dipping into the engine.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
Still has the EJ25D? I wouldn't bother turboing if it does, would sooner swap to something more reliable.
I read on Naisoc, one can DIY a turbo, just with tomato soup cans, and duct tape,...for ANY EJ engine.

..and it will work just like a factory turbo for a Ej255,.....you know once it has blown its chunks.:flush:

Reactions: Elysian

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,909 Posts
you look at all those old but nice looking cars and you think ...where is rust ? . nah joking or course. its very nice looking car you got there. i always loved look of 1st gens. just in my country they all in terrible shape allready. not worth it. but if its still looks this good, then it could be great project on the way.

·
Registered
'14 Subaru Outback, '07 Subaru STi, '15 Ford Mustang GT/PP, '03 Chevy ZO6
21 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that they had a hood scoop but no turbo underneath. Weird.

Reactions: Elysian

·
Registered
2 Posts
you look at all those old but nice looking cars and you think ...where is rust ? . nah joking or course. its very nice looking car you got there. i always loved look of 1st gens. just in my country they all in terrible shape allready. not worth it. but if its still looks this good, then it could be great project on the way.
I'm about to say goodbye to my 1997 Impreza because it's full of rust (and it needs brakes and a new transmission). Hate to see it go. It's been beast in the snow but I guess it's time for a new (used) Outback.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that they had a hood scoop but no turbo underneath. Weird.
subaru had a spat of fake scoops. (1997-2002 or so).

legacy outback, legacy gt,

foresters, impreza outback sports.

I am sure someone in a hot climate really put a cut in the hood below a fake scoop to let a little more heat out. (someplace where they would not worry about water or ice getting where it did not belong....like down on the coil pack etc.).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it isn't worth it it's just a toy not a daily driver gotta give it a little extra oomf some how for hill climbs mud bogs and sand flats and once it blows I'll get a new engine

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,165 Posts
I know it isn't worth it it's just a toy not a daily driver gotta give it a little extra oomf some how for hill climbs mud bogs and sand flats and once it blows I'll get a new engine
how many miles on this,? maybe the head gaskets were done long ago, and its ready to run 300,000 miles.

and turd EJ25D felt kind of pokey behind the wheel even when new....no way to fix that.

aside from the #s on the paper very similar to the great EJ22.

that although is slower, maybe the greatest EJ non turbo the company made.
and hopefully a easy find vs. locating a good ej25D...if there is such a thing. we have a thread about doing a Ej22 swap for that reason.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...248329-ej22-swap-into-ej25d-dohc-vehicle.html

fixing the suspension so it does not lean and drag its ass around is enough of a great mod.

·
Registered
99 OB SUS 2.5 DOHC
56 Posts
Looks like your in for some fun with this. What size lift you going with? I just finished the lift on my SUS not too long ago, but it required a lot of extra work. Hope you don't hit too many hidden problems like I did with mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
King raised springs, 3/4" strut spacers, and bullet rear trailing arm spacers from get-primitive.com /////osc struts all around, transdapt wheel spacers, and the biggest offroad wheels I can find but small enough to have full flex and not rub after I open up the wheel wells as much as they can open

·
Registered
99 OB SUS 2.5 DOHC
56 Posts
Sounds good. Yeah mine took a lot to fit 30s but it gives mine just enough wheel poke for a good stance. I still rub a bit on full lock, but still have to beat my wheel wells some more too. That wagon will look tough though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts