Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I just picked up a 1997 Outback for a reasonable $1200. It runs great except they keyless entry/alarm system is having some issues. I replaced the key fob battery and reprogrammed it into the system and it worked fine for about a week. Then randomly the engine stopped cranking unless I press and hold the programming/override button while turning the key to start, the key fob no longer works, and I can’t make it enter programming mode via holding the programming button for 15+ seconds while the key is in ON.
Anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened and how to go about fixing the problem? I was quoted $300 to rip out the Subaru alarm and install a Viper system but I’d rather keep the factory one if I can fix it easily myself

thanks,
drsn0w

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't have an alarm system on my 97. The problem you describe is not one I've run into. Somewhere around here I have a fob that works, just the outer case broke, but I doubt it would help you with your system since it is different. Hope you can find some answers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey folks,
I just picked up a 1997 Outback for a reasonable $1200. It runs great except they keyless entry/alarm system is having some issues. I replaced the key fob battery and reprogrammed it into the system and it worked fine for about a week. Then randomly the engine stopped cranking unless I press and hold the programming/override button while turning the key to start, the key fob no longer works, and I can’t make it enter programming mode via holding the programming button for 15+ seconds while the key is in ON.
Anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened and how to go about fixing the problem? I was quoted $300 to rip out the Subaru alarm and install a Viper system but I’d rather keep the factory one if I can fix it easily myself

thanks,
drsn0w
I've heard the OE keyless blows -

My 97 obw did not have any keyless system, I bought a viper system ~$40USD. And installed myself, it was really easy. Just need a soldering iron.

I used this thread as inispiration: https://www.rs25.com/forums/f72/t179212-keyless-entry-solution-50-00-a.html

But because mine never had an OE system, I had to find and tap all the wires... finding the wiring digram was the hardest part...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts