Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 H6 3.0R LL Bean wagon and 2000 H4 OBW
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Subaru OBW that I acquired from family. It has 120,000 miles on the body and 64,000 on the engine. It has a JDM replacement engine. It looks to be a clean swap and runs really well considering the knock sensor was not plugged up.

Before I knew this I pulled the codes and got one for the knock sensor. When I looked into it I saw the knock sensor had a big crack in it and it was also not plugged up. Also, the cracked knock sensor on the block had a different style plug than the ones I see that are available here in the USA.

So. I ordered a Bosch knock sensor for the year engine/car I needed. I am installing it currently and go to plug it in to what I thought was the male plug for the knock sensor on the engine wiring harness. However this plug is slightly different than what is needed to go into the female plug from the knock sensor. It looks to be close but I notice a small tab sticking up in the middle of the female connector separating the two terminals in the center of the socket. On the male plug the two terminals do not separate, they are one piece. There is no notch or separation for this tab.

Basically the plugs are slightly different. I do know or was told that this is a 1997 JDM engine.

I am attaching pictures of the plugs and locations.

Do I have the correct male plug from the wiring harness off the engine? I am assuming it is as it is the only plug that is in the area where the knock sensor plug should be and it looks like the single wire knock sensor plug. Since the old was not plugged in I assumed this was the correct plug from the harness.

Does this plug on my engine wiring harness look correct, like the typical knock sensor plug? Is it a JDM style plug being slightly different?

Is there a different knock sensor I need to order with a slightly different plug?

I am missing a part of the plug like an adapter?

For the record. The knock sensor that I took off has a female plug on it that is different than any of these... hence it not being plugged in.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
There's no reason for the change in connector; you just have to file it under: "One of those stupid things". I had to deal with it a couple of years ago - don't remember whether it was part of a motor swap in the '95 or '99 Legacy/OBW.

Regardless, all I did was transplant the matching connector on to get a mating pair. I (also) don't remember whether I did it to the sensor or the harness, and it doesn't matter. If, for whatever reason, you'd rather not hack either the sensor or the harness connector, you can always snip the connector from your old sensor and graft it to a connector scavenged from a parts-donor harness matching your new sensor. Then you'll have a little adapter cable between the two styles. In theory you'll also have reduced your reliability by adding an extra connector pair, but we're talking about a single conductor, and these connectors are reliable as all get-out, so it's a safe bet you'll never see a failure.

Make sense?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it does.

I was actually in the process of doing this, finding a matching connector. I was going to replace the one on the harness to match the one on the sensor. All the ones on line that show to fit this vehicle have the connector that came with the new sensor. I was thinking theoretically it should match in the future. Likely it would match new sensors but not 100% foolproof.

Making an adapter is a good idea. Not hacking up either the wiring harness or sensor. I may do that.

Thanks! I appreciate the input.

Now, to find some connectors.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doh!

I was about to remove the male plug from the harness and got to looking at it closely. That looks like it is a two piece connector...

Turns out it is the female connector from an old knock sensor still plugged on to the male connector from the wiring harness. The wires were completely ripped out of it so it looked like a male plug.

I unsnapped it and it clicked right in to the new connector on the new knock sensor.

One of those man it feels great to feel stupid moments.

Attachments

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
Reactions: kybishop
1 - 5 of 5 Posts