Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow Subaru owners!
I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5, 5spd that has 198,800+ miles on it and I'd like to keep it. However, it's looking to get traded off if I cannot figure out what is causing it to 'surge' or buck while driving at moderate speeds.
Once it warms up and you're driving like you normally do, the car will buck/surge at speeds less than 50MPH. I've noticed it mainly at 30MPH, even if downshifted to 4th gear.
I've had complete diagnostics ran, full tune-up & filters done and still it persists. It feel like someone playing "Old McDonald" on the gas pedal. :mad:SOMETIMES, pushing the clutch pedal in will alleviate the problem temporarily. Vacuum leaks: Checked.
I've read on this forum about replacing the O2 sensors: done. Haven't had time to bypass/check the EGR valve, but that's my next attempt.
Any ideas? (I used to work on cars 12 years ago, so I'm not completely stupid when it comes to repairs...so I will know a half- or smart-a$$ answer!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plug wires maybe? (if not done during tune up) Leaking current due to worn insulation, or excessive resistance could cause misfires that can lead to surging. If not that, maybe the coils.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
sinisterplaydough2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing