Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have killed my battery a couple weeks ago, and I jump started it. I didn't run the car for very long(~10 minutes), so as you would expect it wouldn't start the next time I tried starting it(about a week) ago. Today, I tried jump starting the car and it would crank but not start. My friend who also had his outback battery die said that I should try running the good car for 20 minutes, because that's how long it took him to start his, but I am not sure if my battery is this dead, considering other cars always start in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
It sounds like your alternator is not keeping the battery charged. They are fairly easy to remove and take to an auto parts store like Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, etc. They can test the alternator for you for free. They also sell replacement alternators there of course. If you decide to take it off, have a look at the belt. If it has a lot of cracks or looks glazed, go ahead and replace that too.

IF you do get it started on a jump again, use a multimeter to test your battery's DC voltage output at the terminals on the battery. It should be around 12v without the engine running, 13v with the engine running and stuff like the lights and stereo turned on, and 14v with the stuff turned on and the engine revved up around 1500 RPM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
DavidPeab
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing