Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 DOHC 5 spd manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I own a 1997 outback manual shift. Have had the car for three years. When I bought it had the head gaskets done. At one point last year the tooth sprocket failed and the timing belt was distroyed causing bent valves on number three cylinder. All idlers where checked when the head gaskets where done and the tech said they where fine... apparetly not! Anyway I replaced the valves on No 3 and did a leak down check with all cams releived. They all held the same amount of pressure. I installed new pullys and belt making sure all marks where correct and they are. They have been checked three times. So I start the car in the morning let it warm up and it has a slight missfire, as I drive it the misfire gets worse, to the point it is a dead cylinder. it's always number 1. the miss is from 1000 rpm to 2500. once it hits 2500 it smooths out and pulls hard. replaced the plug on cyl 1, wire, fuel filter, air filter. basic stuff. Any suggestions? I love the car, and don't want to get rid of it because of a miss. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 DOHC 5 spd manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"update" compression check 180 lbs across all cylinders. Any help would be great folks! :)

·
Registered
1999 obw 2.5l Auto 194,000 mi
80 Posts
these engines are very picky about plugs and wires did you use OEM? if not that could be part of it. Also a bad injector or the ignighter are posabilitys. I dont recall if the ignigtor is on the firewall or integeral to the coil on that year. searching for these should find some tips on diagnosing your miss theres literally dozens of posts on this.
good luck hope its nothing too major

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
It sounds like a timing issue. Are you sure you had the belt marks on the cam and crank gear marks before you activated the tensioner? If the crank gear is off a tooth you get a low rpm misfire because the timing of the spark is too slow. At high rpm when the computer is advancing the timing, it will smooth out but actually be running at a retarded rate.

You may need to remove the covers and recheck the marks. You won't have to try to get the belt marks lined up, only the crank and cams to their marks. If the crank does not line up, then you have to take it apart and start again. If they are lined up, it could be any of a few things: coil, injector, ignition cable, vacuum leak, MAF, low battery, you left a ground loose or CMP or CKP performance. I doubt it's the last pair, it's firing and getting injector shots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts