Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I had an oil leak coming from the timing belt cover a few weeks ago, and failed to address it immediately . . . then, one day last week, after having driven it on a few errands around town, it all of a sudden wouldn't start. The engine would crank, but not fire up. I had the car towed to my mechanic, and when it came off the flatbed, it started right up. My mechanic went ahead and fixed the leak . . . replacing all the seals behind the the timing belt cover, along with a new timing belt . . . and the car started right up. After test driving it for a bit, and then letting it sit to see if the oil leak had stopped, the car would not start again. My mechanic was stumped. Prior to leaving for the weekend, he tried again and the car started multiple times. Today, it started up again. Now the shop is trying to recreate the problem again to see if it might be a faulty fuel pump or something else. Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find the problem? My 1997 does the exact same thing. Won't start for a few hours then for no apparent reason starts up and drives fine. Maybe 1 in 10 or so times it just won't start. I replaced the battery, coils, plugs and wires, fuel pump (this was before I was having problems - it went out on me) and the fuel pump relay. I don't know if it's fuel or electrical. You can only diagnose when it won't start and you never know when that's going to happen. If you figured it out please let me know. (Kevin - [email protected])

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a '98 that started doing the same thing. Occasional (once a week) non-start for no reason, then suddenly it would fix itself. Replaced the crank shaft sensor and it hasn't done it since - about 4 weeks now.......
Under $50 and easy to change.
Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts