Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, do any of you know if the Speedo in a '97 OB is a cable controlled speedo or if it's electronically controlled like newer Subarus?

Let me know ASAP...the answer to this question will most likely determine wheter I go in and pull my cluster out to replace my CEL bulb...a failed inspection is waiting on this...

Thanks!

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Green... fried one computer last night and could not get on the Internet with the other until I installed a wireless card and even then had very poor connection.

In the Haynes Manual it says when removing the instrument cluster
1) disconnect battery
2) remove cluster bezel
4) remove cluster mounting screws
5) unplug electrical connectors and disconnect the speedo cable (if equipped) from the back side of the cluster

So the manual gives no definitive answer for your subie... sorry :(

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A user over at NASIOC was trying to swap instrument clusters last summer...'96 to '97.

I emailed him and he said the '97 has an electronically controlled speedo. So...hopefully that is correct.

I took a Haynes manual out of the library and there is one picture of the rear of the inst. cluster on which I can see where my CEL bulb would be located. It appears to be one of the tiny bulbs, similar to the ones in the HVAC unit. I've still got one left over from when I replaced my HVAC bulbs last winter so hopefully it'll work.

·
Registered
948 Posts
How many different types of bulbs are there for the instrument panel and are they going to be expensive from a dealership? I'm planning on replacing all of the bulbs since I'll be back there anyway.

Thanks,
Andre

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
8kGoodENuff
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing