Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '97 subaru legacy outback 2.4 four cylinder with 188,000 miles. I just had the engine, radiator, water pump and timing belt replaced. I have noticed the steering wheel shaking when i brake from, i would say 50mph +. I also hear a clicking noise while turning left and right, especially at slow speeds. Ive tried researching the problem but am confused about replacing the cv (inner/outer and/or boot) vs replacing the whole axle. Help!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If it's already clicking, it's likely that the front outers (one or both) are toast.

It's usually cost-effective to replace the whole axle vs. a single part of it. Be careful, there are some lousy axles on the market. They'll solve the clicking but then leave you with a weird vibration when you stop at a red light.

I don't feel like I have up-to-date info on who makes the good ones, so I'll let others fill in that blank.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
you might try rotating the tires front-to-back and see if there's a change in the braking vibration. might be a bad tire. a '97 could have suspension/steering parts worn or in need of adjustment/alignment.

and yeah, clicking while turning is a classic cv joint failure symptom though, I guess it could be something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts