Subaru Outback Forums banner

1998 (3rd Gen) Outback lift questions

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  graham_mark 
#1 ·
Hi, Ive been lurking here for a little while reading about lifting outbacks for better ground clearance and running AT tyres etc.
I have a mostly stock 1998 Outback Lancaster 2.5l 4EAT station wagon that I really want to lift and fit some Yokohama Geolandars to.
I realize that there are two types of lift that i can do, either the Subtle Solutions 1" spacer kit, or buying raiser springs.
I have two questions:
1. If i buy the spacer kit from subtle solutions, is it an easy fit without having to buy other parts or change things?
2. If I go the raiser springs route, Can i just remove my old stock springs and fit the new king springs raiser or the like? Or will i need to be buying new struts and other bits?

If I'm only going to do one of these, which is the better option for me?
The main reason for wanting the better tyres and ground clearance is that here in NZ we get some gnarly mountain access roads for skiing and most of the good camping is off the beaten track :)

I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions :D

Any help is much appreciated!! :29:

See less See more
#2 ·
I got about 1" out of the King Springs on my 2004 and it improved the ride dramatically. I replaced my struts at the same time, though, since it had about 120k on it at the time and I figured they were worn.

You could actually do both the springs and the spacers, you just have to be careful about alignment if you go that route. As far as I know, the spacers just fit on top of the strut and are relatively easy to install.

You could theoretically mount the springs onto your existing struts, but it seems to me the struts on a '98 would probably be quite worn if they have never been changed. I would replace the struts with new KYBs if you're going that route.

Good choice on the Geolandars, by the way! I had a set on my 2004 and have a set on my 2008 now. They do fantastic on dirt, gravel, sand, rock, and mud. They also aren't noisy on pavement (relatively little rolling resistance from what I can tell) and do pretty well in the snow for a year round tire. The somewhat gnarly look of them is nice, too. Not worried about popping them on a sharp rock like I was with my previous all seasons.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I got some quotes today for springs and struts. Think thats a better route to go due to the increased ride quality so you, and many others, say. Did you install the springs yourself or get them done?

Ive pretty much made up my mind on the Geolandars, seem to be the most readily available and best fit where I am :) Cant wait for the subie to look more beefy!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.