Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine called me this morning and said his '98 outback 5-speed manual wouldn't start, it clicks, but won't turn-over. This is the coldest morning we've had yet this year, so I thought it might be a weak battery, he didn't know how old it was. We popped the hood, and you can hear a faint high-pitched buzzing coming from on top of the alternator, with the engine off, and the key off. It appeared to be coming from the "white" wiring that clips into the alternator. That obviously killed what was left of the battery.

Any thoughts on this? Pushing the clip around the plug appeared to stop the noise. I haven't had a chance to use a multi-meter to test anything yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well I'd say it sounds like a possible internal short of the alternator its small enough now that all it does is put a drain on the battery or its a short at the connector does the same thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Kyle_Has_ADD
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing