Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the fourm but this isnt my first subby i had a 97 outback before this 98 and i have come across the same problem with both and was hoping maybe one of you who have been around them for a while can help me. The 97 i ended up buyong used struts for the rear but this 98 is in way better condition and id like to use new parts. So do any of you know where i can get a set of pre built struts for front and rear. I figure if im doing it right mine as well do all at the same time. I dont like the idea of having to put the struts together and i am having a hard time finding the springs as mine are broken i cant use the ones i have. The backs clang and rattle alot and the front seam good but they bounce a lot and the springs look like crap with the covers cracking and pealing on them. So can any of you maybe point me in a good direction to get them?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts
No one makes a prebuilt kit worth putting on a Subaru you happen to like.

KYB is the OEM supplier and who I recommend. Monroe if you ABSOLUTELY must.

Springs are pretty sturdy if not abused, I'd be fine with a used set from a junkyard presuming they appear in decent shape.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
No one makes a prebuilt kit worth putting on a Subaru you happen to like.

KYB is the OEM supplier and who I recommend. Monroe if you ABSOLUTELY must.

Springs are pretty sturdy if not abused, I'd be fine with a used set from a junkyard presuming they appear in decent shape.
another daily quest for preassembled things that don't exist.

like we need a sticky here on the "new people look here pages"

= "no regular subaru has pre-assmbled quick struts,...
if you want great safe things, have someone put KYBs inside OEM springs, even if that means taking them to a mechanic, or a parts store, or a borrowing a spring compressor,"

@Cookie710 maybe you find some off a 1996-99 legacy outback that looks just like yours at the pick and pull that has the cars on stands,... but lots of rusted junk there too,...or plain junk brands that blow and fail fast.

(no low slung plain legacy, no forester, no impreza, or impreza outback sport,).

but you might get lucky,...someone abandon their turd Ej25D leg outback there from terminal head gaskets, right after putting KYB and OEM springs stuff on it....or at least something new and unrusted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts