Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing an oil leak on my 1998 Legacy Outback. At first I thought it was a fuel leak at the filler neck, like the others I've seen posted, but upon smelling it, and actually finding the leak, I realized that was not the case. The leaking area is pictured (low-res, cell phone camera). It is leaking along that rusted area. Does anybody have any idea of what that could be? I'm relatively new to cars in general. Would it be a fix I could do at home? Shop gave me an estimate of $500 to fix it, and I'd prefer to do it myself if possible. I can keep it running, leak or no, just would like to fix it and not worry about it.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I'm not sure about the location of the shot it looks like it's below the head on one side. Could be a valve cover gasket. One way to tell (although this is not a guarantee) is to remove one of the spark plug wires and see if there is oil on the boot end. If you search around you will see how to change the gasket. Depending on your mechanical ability you could do it yourself.

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The location is on the passenger side, in front of the front wheel. It's right near the filler neck shield.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I'm still thinking valve cover gasket,that's pretty common. The other common place for a leak is the front crank oil seal. However, that usually shows itself by leaking along the bottom front part of the motor; down where the black timing cover meets the metal of the block.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
At first I thought it was a fuel leak at the filler neck, . . .
. . .in front of the front wheel. It's right near the filler neck shield.
Not sure what the "filler neck" is on the passenger side. Is it in the engine compartment, or underneath the car?

Can you post a wider photo of the area (less of a close-up)?

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be wrong with what I'm calling the parts. Don't be shocked if that happens. Like I said, don't really know that much about cars. This is my first one.

After what Peaty said here, taking a look at everything, and doing a lot of searches, it appears to be the valve cover gasket that's causing the leak. I'm doing a ton of research to get that replaced. Does anybody know of any good write-ups to getting that done?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts