Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I am a bit brain dead from lack of sleep... :p And I am asking that someone smarter that myself lend your knowledge of these vehicles.

My wife's Outback (EJ25D - manual trans) got the 3 following CELs this weekend...
p0400
p0507
p1507

Here are the items that I have replaced with new parts in recent times:
BPT
EGR valve
every vacuum line that I could reach
spark plugs (NGK Iridium)
spark plug wires (Denso)
removed aftermarket exhaust - put stock exhaust on
new O2 sensors (both)
speedo sensor (OEM)
fuel filter (6 months ago)

I have also removed the Idle Air Control Valve, cleaned it with degreaser, then sprayed some lubricating oil inside (gasket was replaced at this time). I have never touched the cruise control OR throttle cables ever in the 2 years of ownership.

Prior to the check engine lights this weekend, it has been getting smoother at idle and much peppier with acceleration!

And then... massive stuttering, died when clutch in to pull into our driveway and 3 CELs...

One thing that I am aware of that I need to go back and put some effort into - the hose that leads downward from the Idle Air Control Valve (down past the T into the block), the hose clamp is not fully on. The hose is original and would not budge when I did try to move it, so I am not of the opinion that this is leaking.

Via my reading it sounds like the Idle Air Control Valve might need some adjustment (I could have changed its orientation a hair during re-assembly) OR the coolant temp sensor might be going out.

Again, I am no expert on these cars (hand me an 80's Toyota and I am far more knowledgeable), so I am asking for help.

I do intend to order a replacement hose and associated clamps for the hose that leads down from the IACV and the coolant temp sensor.

Thanks in advance!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
what year is this?

under your name it only says a 06 WRX,...

any mods on the intake? (K&N type ?)

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the lack of detail. I did go back and edit the post.

1998 Legacy Outback. EJ25D with a manual trans.

Stock intake, stock exhaust, stock engine. This is my wife's daily driver and she drives around our 2 year old son.

Previous owner put on a lightweight crank pulley and lightweight flywheel - I tried to remove the lightweight crank pulley, but could not. The flywheel will be replaced with a stock one when the clutch gets replaced.

The other mods on the vehicle are related to WRX brakes and King springs.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
wondering if a bad PCV valve could cause EGR and other systems to 'gunk-up' ?

how dirty was the IAC ?

PCV is cheap/easy to replace or even clean.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
I was wondering if with the exhaust mods, if anyone checked the piping of the EGR with a snake.

in the swapping of exhaust, is the cat converter new / old?

tossing PCVs for OEM is usually a good idea. (some old ones look fine, but have a weak spring in them, so they are not performing like they should...clean or not).

and I wonder if in these cases: if any of the vacuum lines can get sucked shut from operation, and then open up when you get out to look at them.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the IACV was black. i had to spray degreaser into the IACV 3 times total to get it clean. after that, i was able to see the green element the rotates.

i have no issue with buying replacement parts and installing them. my sole concern is that the car stays reliable.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know that i did not inspect the EGR when going from the aftermarket to stock exhaust. i'd glad do this, but i also lack a snake with which to clean it.

i am happy to replacd the PCV if that'll help.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just a quick update. on monday evening my wife started up her Outback and idled it - it idled fine. she then took it for a spin around the block - no issues at all.

i have been driving it since, as my commute is longer, and the Outback has been running perfectly.

not going to lie, this is damned odd. i can only guess that i sprayed too much lube into the IACV and that caused the hiccup that caused the 3 CELs... but, that is only a guess.

regardless, i have already ordered replacement hoses/clamps for the IACV and a replacement coolant temp sensor (my wife noted that it warms up slowly).

so, i will replace the IACV hoses/clamps, the coolant temp sensor, the thermostat (no idea of age/mileage - assuming original) and the 4 coolant hoses (upper and lower radiator + 2 heater core) on the 3 day weekend.

taking care of all of that should give this Outback a bit more life and peace of mind.

i will update afterwards with the results.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,565 Posts
The P0400 is possibly the EGR transducer (green UFO thing above the EGR valve). These tend to burn a hole in the diaphragm and cause a slew of P04xx codes (EGR/Emissions).

When you refill the coolant, fill through the upper hose, feeding into the engine. This will help eliminate air pockets and shorten the time required to bleed.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The P0400 is possibly the EGR transducer (green UFO thing above the EGR valve). These tend to burn a hole in the diaphragm and cause a slew of P04xx codes (EGR/Emissions).

When you refill the coolant, fill through the upper hose, feeding into the engine. This will help eliminate air pockets and shorten the time required to bleed.

BPT and EGR valve were both replaced with new units prior to this weekend when the 3 CELs came up.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,565 Posts
BPT and EGR valve were both replaced with new units prior to this weekend when the 3 CELs came up.
Ah, I missed the BPT part.. Have you tried to check that the steel lines under the throttle cable are clear? I've seen quite a few that collapse or are loaded with carbon after the diaphragm ruptures.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, I missed the BPT part.. Have you tried to check that the steel lines under the throttle cable are clear? I've seen quite a few that collapse or are loaded with carbon after the diaphragm ruptures.
no worries. :)

i have not check those hard lines. unfortunately, other than degreaser, i have no method of cleaning them. what is used as a snake to clean those out?

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, still no issues and no more CELs... very odd.

still idles smoothly and accelerates better than it did prior to the cleaning of the IACV. just waiting on Subaru for the replacement hoses and clamps.

unrelated:
i did take the extra step of flushing the clutch fluid and replacing the brake pads. goodbye 2+ year old ATE SuperBlue fluid and blah cheap brake pads... hello Wilwood EXP 600 fluid and EBC Red (front) and Yellow (rear) brake pads! clutch pedal is much more responsive now and the bite of those brake pads is nutty! :p

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and a p1057 CEL came on and now the speedo has stopped working... the car is operational, just confused why the speedo stopped working.

this is getting quite annoying. i've already replaced the speedo sensor on the transmission (passenger side) with a brand new unit amount 1.5 months ago (factory part). new trans fluid (3 weeks ago) for what its worth - the drain plug was covered in shavings. :/

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sometimes when the CEL would go off (cylinder misfire), the car would chug/buck and be basically undriveable (no power and shuddering constantly). not so good when my wife is driving around with our 2 year old son.

last weekend i pulled the fuel pump and replaced it with a new Denso fuel pump (190lph). since that time, no cylinder misfires have occurred and even with the CEL came out (f'n speedo!) the car would NOT chug/buck or lose any power! so, its a step in the right direction!

with the old fuel pump, from time to time, there would be the smell of exhaust/unburnt fuel in the cabin. well, that odor is 100% gone! i am guessing the fuel pump that i removed was 255lph or larger? and was pumping too much fuel, and plenty of that fuel didn't get burnt, hence the smell.

but... the speedo is still an issue. i've pulled the plug/connector and applied dielectric grease in hopes that the moisture we were getting recently was the issue, and that the dielectric grease would solve that issue. alas, the issue persists.

i don't have any copious amounts of time to research this issue and every potential item that might impact it. other than replacing the speedo sensor in the transmission and applying dielectric grease - what else can i troubleshoot/inspect/replace?

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so the speedo was non-operational yesterday. my wife hopped on the highway and in 4th gear at 4000rpm the speedo kicked back on. my wife has informed me that doing this gets the speedo working nearly every time. once the car is stopped & turned off, there is a 50/50 chance the speedo will work without issue.

very odd...

any ideas as per what might be the cause or what to inspect?

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quick update.

in the past 2 weeks, everything has worked perfectly. no speedo issues, no CELs, no bucking, no fuel smell... it has just been running perfectly. needless to say, my wife and i are both thrilled with this!

cleaning the IACV, replacing the fuel pump and putting some dielectric grease on the connectors appears to have resolved the issues. good times!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru BRZ turbo 1998 Subaru Legacy GT
81 Posts
Nice! I've noticed a really bad bog from clogged cats in addition to a bad knock sensor, but had either no or different CELs for those problems. I would think if the parts you mentioned are wearing out it might be worthwhile to replace the PCV valve and the Fuel Filter if they haven't been done as a low cost preventative measure. Especially with the EJ25d please do keep an eye on your coolant temp gauge as that is the engine notorious for blowing head gaskets. Some symptoms you may notice are coolant reservoir overflowing, heat blowing cold air, and temp gauge climbing. Especially if you have non car people driving the car let them know to keep an eye on that gauge to prevent warping the heads or seizing the engine up when it happens. If you catch it it can be limped home with refilling the radiator with water and about 20 minutes for the engine to cool. Ask me how I know...
The speedo sure is a mystery. I can assure you that the wiring and plastic connectors on these cars of this age are surely getting brittle, so be gentle, and don't forget to pull out the multimeter to trace where the current stops from the sensor on up to the cluster.

·
Registered
2006 WRX Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did purchase a replacement PCV valve and my intention has been to replace it. at his moment though, i cannot find it... how very annoying! i replaced the fuel filter about 1.5 years ago.

i check/refill the coolant every 2-3 weeks - it is dropping. the overflow tank is pretty high up. the other morning there was quite a bit of white smoke at startup. all that summed, i'm sure the head gaskets are going.

my wife and i are both car people - she was a car person long before we met as well - so no worries there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
i did purchase a replacement PCV valve and my intention has been to replace it. at his moment though, i cannot find it... how very annoying! i replaced the fuel filter about 1.5 years ago.

i check/refill the coolant every 2-3 weeks - it is dropping. the overflow tank is pretty high up. the other morning there was quite a bit of white smoke at startup. all that summed, i'm sure the head gaskets are going.

my wife and i are both car people - she was a car person long before we met as well - so no worries there.
I searched google images for "pcv ej25d" and got this post. I presume it is a EJ25D engine, as there are people with those listed typing about them. (nice when they list what they have, currently and in the past....hint hint :wink2:).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...nce/37020-pcv-hoses-ducting-2.html#post345164

1 - 20 of 25 Posts