Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I own a 1998 Outback Legacy limited & after basically rebuilding the motor I am now experiencing some wheel/brake issues. The car has about 190k miles before I bought it. The symptoms while driving would be intermittent but, they were appearing more often than not. The first thing I noticed was a squeal in the passenger front wheel. Then I noticed at high speeds the steering wheel had intense vibration, I also noticed when I used the brakes they would have a wierd feeling when pressing down & cause a even worse grinding type noise. The feeling in the brakes was really wierd, it was almost as if the brake was hesitating to go down but it wasn’t hard to push. I jacked up the car and, like an idiot I touched the rotor right after driving it and it burned me pretty good. (Lesson learned) I didn’t think that was normal to start with so it was obviously incredibly hot. There is no play/wiggle to the wheel so I don’t think it’s a bearing. Also when I had the car on jack stands & in neutral, the wheel would not spin whatsoever when I try to turn it (driver side spins normal when I try). So I removed the wheel and removed the brake caliper from the disk & I noticed the inner pad is more word than the outer pad. I know it can be normal for it to be slightly more worn so I attached a picture. I also attached a picture of the pistons. They look super rusted. My guess is that one or both pistons are sticking. I don’t know too much about calipers so I’m looking for any good pointers. I really need to get this back on the road asap & cost effective. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks!
Tire Window Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting
Hand Arm Automotive tire Wood Finger
Wood Gas Plumbing fixture Tints and shades Plumbing
Tire Window Automotive tire Wood Wheel
Tire Window Automotive tire Wood Wheel
Hood Automotive tire Wood Grey Bumper

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0RN H6
50 Posts
Hi there!
Could be one of 2 things - sticking pistons, or sticking on the slider pins.

With the bleed nipple open, to relieve the pressure and not push fluid back up the line, and a piece of tube attached to catch the fluid, can you push the pistons back in by hand? It will be hard. If they won't move at all will they move with the help of a clamp? With a gentle amount of force. If not, then it's either time to rebuild, or buy a replacement.

If the pistons move readily, then look at the caliper slider pins, are they freely moving in and out?

Oh, and do the pads move freely in the caliper? You didn't need a load of force to get them out I hope?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts