Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 OBW 2.5L 5speed 150 k miles
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 outback 2.5 starter will not turn over with the key. I replaced the knock and cam sensors to no real avail. I tested the voltage on the ground at the battery, starter and body ground near battery all checked 12.5 volts. I removed the ground at the block and cleaned the connection and the mounting bolt. Now has gone from not starting when warm, which was the original problem to not startig at all, will only click one time. THe starter is a new not rebuilt, from Adavnce; the battery is new also. Have a new ground cable that could be installed, just not sure will solve problem. Starter will work and start the car if by pass ground and go straight from hot side of battery to starter. Any suggestions short of installing a momentray switch?

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
Starter will work and start the car if by pass ground and go straight from hot side of battery to starter. Any suggestions short of installing a momentray switch?
If the starter solenoid "clunks" when the key is turned to Start, but the starter motor doesn't start, but the start motor will turn over the engine when connected directly back to the battery positive post, then it's most likely that the solenoid switch contacts are not being connected properly.

It's also possible that the positive cable from the battery positive post to the solenoid is bad -- sometimes it's not the clamps but where the cable copper wire is crimped into the end clamps. Corrosion between the copper wire and the end connectors can prevent sufficient current from flowing. Same for the ground side.

If there's enough access, measure the voltage at the stud where the battery positive cable connects to the starter solenoid. With the key off, it should be the same as the battery voltage. Then turn the key to Start. The voltage will drop to 11 V or less if the starter motor is being connected; if it drops only a small bit, then the starter motor is not being connected through the solenoid contacts. The "new" starter could be defective.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tested at post on starter no reading at all. Checked battery and ground both still show current.

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
If there's no Voltage at the solenoid stud that the cable from the battery positive post connects to, then the cable is bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought. Since the way the cables are tied together probably just as well to change both the ground and hot cables at the same time. THANKS for the assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts