Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1998 Outback in August. My wife drives it a ton, like 100 miles a day. So I went to do an oil change in October and noticed it was more that three quarts low. I figured these older cars would burn some oil but not three quarts. What's strange is there's absolutely no leaks, at least on the driveway anyway. There's no smoke of any color coming out of the exhaust and I don't really smell any burning oil. Where can all this oil be going? Thanks for any advice...

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Check/change PCV.

Valve cover gaskets are a common leak point.

How many miles to be 3 quarts low?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check/change PCV.

Valve cover gaskets are a common leak point.

How many miles to be 3 quarts low?
I'd say around 4-5K miles. So if my PCV valve is bad, could it really lose that much oil? I haven't seen any oil coming from the Valve Cover. Do you think it could be a head gasket? I know those are a major problem with these vehicles. No coolant in oil that I can tell and no oil leaks on the ground.

Also, the car smells of fuel, especially after you fill it up. Tends to go away the more the fuel level goes down. Check engine light is on and I had it tested but can't remember the code. Something to do with a valve or something like that, fuel related.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
flandocalrissian
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing