Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 2.2 car with a busted block. I have a 1996 2.2 short block. I would like to put the 99 heads on to the 96 short block. I have a few concerns.
Will this piston/head combination work good?
Can I, should I, or do I need to put 99 pistons in?
What head gasket would I use, 99 or 96?
What timing belt would I use, 96 or 99?
What other things do I need to consider?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The same gasket as what? The 99 heads or the 96 block. Why will the egr be a factor? I am using the 99 heads with a 99 intake in a 99 car.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,462 Posts
The same gasket as what? The 99 heads or the 96 block. Why will the egr be a factor? I am using the 99 heads with a 99 intake in a 99 car.
My bad I was thinking the other way with EGR. 99 block/96 heads.

The head gaskets are the same for both years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The head gaskets are not the same. The 96 has a non MLS design. The 99 has a MLS design.
The timing belts for the 2 years are very different as well.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
MLS gasket is the type of material, steel. The gasket mold is the same.

I'll look into the belt and get back to you.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the blocks are virtually the same. the thrust bearing may have moved.

use the 96 block and internals, everything else 99, and drive on. you may lose a bit of power due to the 96 rods, crank and pistons but it will be a very little bit and you'll never notice.

edit: you will have to swap over the tensioner mounting bracket from the 99 to the 96 block to accommodate the ''new '' style tensoiner. not sure if you can use the old style tennsoiner. i know it will bolt on but there has to be a reason they changed styles other than just to make it less reliable.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
^ That's what the difference is. Use a belt for the 99 if you use the 99 tensioner (better design), and use the 96 if you use the 96 tensioner. The tensioner was different for 99 resulting in a belt change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts