Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

I've got a Subaru Outback (Australian model), Mfg year 1999, 2.6L engine for which I need to locate the MAFS (Subaru Outback Mass Air Flow Sensor). Could someone point it out in the following picture?

I've searched for manuals online but no luck. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
1998 subaru legacy outback 2.5l
42 Posts
hey

i cannot seem to locate your maf.. it may however be directly behind your throttle body? like where you would replace your air filter.. but directly behind that housing?

so it goes throttle body/air cleaner housing / mafs

^just a guess as your engine bay looks totally different then mine^

another thing, check out that front diff fluid looks like its spit out all on the firewall.

that happened to me and now i have a 10k$ subaru outback:eek:

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
By the looks of it you don't have a mass air flow meter, but you do have what I believe is a map (manifold absolute pressure) sensor on the plenum next to the coil pack.

If you want to confirm you could always take it to your local friendly dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much guys, going to fix it up and replace the sensor this week sometime. Hopefully that will get rid of the "Check Engine" warning light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the code?
Hi,

Following this up, I went and bought an OBD2 reader but it didn't work at all with my Subaru Outback. Can anyone recommend me an OBD2 reader that will work? (Prefer one from eBay or dealextreme as they will usually ship to Australia).

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
550 Posts
Previous posts from fellow Aussies and me (amongst others) suggests that off the shelf eBay readers don't work with out model cars, not being OBD2. I've had similar problems, ended up getting professionally read, then got onto Freessm. Check for Freessm, posts by Stig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts