Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some help.
I am having issues with my sub fan not coming on (right side). To give some background. After replacing a faulty main fan, a few months later the subfan failed to come on and I got a P0483 code. I checked the fan and it seemed to be ok, no blown fuses, relays seem to be ok, so in a pinch I hardwired it so that it comes on whenever the car is on. I just did a little more digging and it seems like the relay is not getting any voltage, however all other relays are (see relay in attached picture). Any ideas or things I could check next?

All else fails I was thinking of bridging the high voltage terminal on the main fan relay to the subfan relay and seeing if this solves my problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
'98 Outback
249 Posts
What wiring diagram are you using? I have two for my '98 and they conflict on this circuit.

There should be another sub fan relay in the fuse/relay holder under the dash. (Apparently it's the main fan relay if you don't have A/C.) I'd look at that first. It looks like one of the sub fan relays works with engine coolant temp, the other with the A/C system.

Does the A/C work okay?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
if it gets too crazy tracking this down - you could rig the main fan to always be on when ignition is on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using this wiring diagram from the jdmfsm website.

The AC works fine. Thanks for the tip, I will check that relay out and update.

The sub fan is already hardwired to be on with the ignition, but this doesn't solve the check engine light and I can't pass emissions testing in CA with a check engine light.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
249 Posts
That's one of the diagrams I use. Look at Section Z, relay FB-2, which also shows up in Section A, where it's called both the main fain relay and sub fan relay 1. Like I said, conflicting. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
it's a newer car, but I found this video;

evidently, the ecu is examining the fan ON signal and expecting a corresponding change in temperature from the ECT - so, could be a bad ect ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts