Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time poster, first time Subaru owner here.

I purchased a 1999 Subaru Outback that needed a head gasket change and had been sitting around for some time(only 35K original miles), I made the change and installed the Subaru HGs that ends with an aa610. After the install when I was putting on the timing belt I manually turned the crank only to have it go clunk, I confirmed that the intake valves are hitting the pistons in all the cylinders. Verified with the dealer that I installed what should have been the correct parts.

I am hoping you smart people can offer some advice, it doesn't look like any of the valve guides have fallen and even if they had I can't imagine that would change the stroke of the valve by that much. The HG I removed does appear to have a thicker center piece to it. Is there a HG available out there that is thicker than the aa610? Why would there have been a thicker one installed? I can't imagine the solution is to adjust the valves...

Thanks in advance for any insight, I am hoping you Subaru Guru's can guide me to truth and wisdom.

-Casey

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
610 is the correct gasket for that engine.

1. Did you install the timing belt using the correct marks? Some people use the wrong timing marks. some people confuse the dot and the dash. use the dash at the very back of the crank pulley that is on the tabs that stick up.

2. Are you positive it's the valve colliding?
It's not cylinder wall build up or rust from sitting for an extended period of time?

3. How positive are you of the vehicle and engine designation? In order to verify we're working with an original EJ25D let's clarify the engine:

A. It has dual over head cam heads right? It would seemingly have to if you installed a timing belt commensurate with the 610 headgaskets.

B. When you pulled the heads did the pistons stick out way above the face of the block? The EJ25D from 96-98 and some 99's are the only blocks that do this.

3. Measure the head thickness - it may have been milled further than the limits allow and a thicker headgasket was used. You can essentially use any thickness headgasket you want, there are companies that sell them. But I would try to stick with the OEM Subaru' gasket, make sure you haven't made a timing mistake, and verify what's going on before deciding on a course of action.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks idosubaru for your response.

1)For sure was using the dash, I marked the old belt coming off and transferred to new belt so I am pretty sure I was timing it right, I played with the timing for way too long before moving on to next step of diagnosis.

2)With timing belt off (valves closed) crank spins freely. I put each cylinder at the top of its stroke and then spun the sprockets, the intake valves hit in every cylinder. There is not a lot of interference but enough to stop rotation, there is no way I am going to fire it up in this condition. Smaller exhaust valves cleared. From what I have read the pistons-valves should not be colliding on these engines, the valves will collide which is why its labeled an interference engine. If anyone can confirm this that would be awesome!

3)I matched the numbers on the engine block to the vin, so it is the original engine, the engine code is EJ25DAXEYL.
a)It is a DOHC
b)The pistons did extend above the face of the block. not by much, but I was able to clean the piston heads off at the top of the stroke without worrying about marring the block.

4) I can measure the head thickness, I was within the 0.002 flatness when it was checked so the heads were not milled (at least for me). Is there a good resource the head thickness I should be seeing? I would love to verify the heads are in their original condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts