Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago, there was a dumpster truck that rolled into the front of my car and made the hood buckle upwards, leaving somewhat of a gap about 2-3 inches back from the headlights. It doesn't seem too bad at first glance, but when looking closely, you can see right into the engine bay, which only means that all of nature's elements have full access to the engine compartment, which it does. The poor battery is taking a beating.

Anyway... found a 1999 Legacy hood with scoop at a junkyard in good condition for $175 and was wondering if it would fit my 1998 OBW? I'm pretty sure it is a direct bolt-on, but figured to post on here before dishing out the cash for it.

Thank You,
Andre

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
yes. get the hinges with it if you can. yours may be bent. Also might be a good idea to get the latch plate as well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... I'm only answering now but I was able to read your reply through email.

The yard actually didn't have the hinges or the latch plate, but I looked at the ones that are on the OBW now and they seemed to still be good. Obviously, once the hood is placed, then I'll see for sure if they are good.

I took before and after pics from cleaning it and posted below if I get this picture attachment feature to work... haha. I haven't had a chance to install the hood because I need to find someone to help me and also, I still need to figure out a way to remove the letters that the junkyard wrote on the hood for identification. Why they would write on the sunny side of the hood, I'm not sure, but it's a pain to get them off.

Any suggestions?

Pic #1: Before
Pic #2: After
Pic #3: PITA Letters

Andre

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The letters should buff off with any decent polish.
Would I be able to do that by hand or do I need to use a buffer machine?

Andre

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
They used a paint marker. Most panels they sell get repainted, so they don't care. You may have to sand with some fine gritt paper and polish with a power buffer to get reid of it. Try rubbing by hand with some rubbing compound them polishing. Worst case you can sand it out and spray a little clear on it if you don't cut the color coat.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
That stuff will usually flake most of the way off with your fingernail. Polishing compound to follow up, and wax - tada!

So, you're going from a flat hood to one with a scoop? Gonna go another step and make the scoop functional?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts