Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Legacy Outback that needs a rear wheel bearing Replaced.
Does anyone have an accurate procedure for replacing it?
Will I need any special tools?

Any help is appreciated.
Jerry...

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
The rear hub bearing is the easy one.

If you have replaced the brakes before, it would be helpful.

If you are dealing with rust, spray all the bolts with PB Blaster and let it soak in for a while. Maybe spray the bolts the day prior if its severe.

While the car is still on the ground, break loose the axle nut. You will not need to remove the axle from the car, only remove the nut. You need to remove the brake caliper, bracket and rotor. Take the nut off the axle. Using a large punch placed at the center of the axle, never hammer straight onto the end of the axle because you will damage the threads, knock the axle loose from the hub. There are 4 bolts that hold the hub assembly to the spindle. Just remove the bolts and knock out the assembly.

Put it all back together making sure to use a drop or two of loctite on the hub bolts and caliper bracket bolts and torque them down. After the wheel is back on and the car on the ground, torque the axle nut. Take you probably an hour if everything breaks loose easily. Longer if the bolts are seized.

Be sure to pump the brake pedal a couple times to repressurize the caliper you removed before you move the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....Can you tell me if I am going to need any seals? I just want to be sure I can get this thing apart and back together in one day.

My Subi manual is showing a bearing housing that resembles this one:

This pic is from a 97 not a 99 because I can't post a pic from my manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
JerryD
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing