Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 scooby outback, ej25(cold air intake), cat back exhaust, 04 sti struts and shocks.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual 1999 ob that likes to stall out and die when I come to a stop. The wierd thing is, upon restart its sounds like it misfiring. whenever it stalls i have to start it up, turn it back off because of misfire and then start it up again. then its back to normal. I have searched all over the forums and havent encountered a similiar misfire upon restart thread. has anyone had this happen to them?

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on? If so, get your codes read or snag an inexpensive reader off of amazon.com or the local store to find out what P-codes your car is logging. This will help diagnose what the problem is.

First guess, you have a non-working idle-air control valve. This is a valve that helps regulate, well, idle engine rpm. I have not had one go out in one of my Subaru's but I have in other brands. Similar results as to what you describe.

·
Registered
1999 scooby outback, ej25(cold air intake), cat back exhaust, 04 sti struts and shocks.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a CEL on. I had the code read a while back and I cant remember the specific codes but i had two; one for the iacv and another for a cylinder 4 misfire. ill try a new iac. do you think a used iac with work?

·
Registered
288 Posts
New are expensive.
Might as well remove yours and clean it thoroughly.
If you have access to an impact screwdriver, it would be best, for the screws will try to round. If you don't have, use pb, but sparingly on the screws, let soak and hit a philips head screwdriver in the slot.
Don't know if yours is on the top or side of TB, probably the side.
If so, there are 3 10mm bolts that hold it. One is hidden by the hose and wiring on the bottom right of unit.
If yours is on the top, don't remove it until you get a gasket for it. it's rubber and swells and won't fit back properly.

O.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
The attached is a cutaway of your idle control valve. I have never had to replace one. It operates dually with current flow from the ECM and coolant temperature contact.

The electrical current of from the ECM over rides the temperature side to move the valve open or closed. If the ECM thinks the engine is running hot, it closes the valve to shut it down. If the engine is really running hot, same thing, shuts down the engine, to save it.

So, best thing to do is to pull the codes and post them. Idle codes with any other codes will point in the direction you need to find the problem.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts